GL1200 GOLDWINGS
alternator conversion - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: TECH CENTER (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: CHARGING SYSTEM AND CONVERSION ALTERNATORS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: alternator conversion (/showthread.php?tid=10881)

alternator conversion - alfie1eye - 09-21-2016

Hi, just about completed the p0oorboy alternator conversion, went to fire bike up but am not getting spark to plugs. Engine turns over fine, just to check everything was ok I switched engine off switch before attempting to start the engine.
Is it possible I have the timing 180 degrees out or is it something to do with the pulse generators? Was extra careful when putting new cam belts on at the same time to double check timing marks lined up correctly.

RE: alternator conversion - SIR tricky - 09-21-2016

Yes it is possible

RE: alternator conversion - neoracer - 09-22-2016

if motor wasn't on TDC #1 when you changed belts could be 180 out

RE: alternator conversion - alfie1eye - 09-23-2016

(09-22-2016, 06:02 PM)neoracer Wrote: if motor wasn't on TDC #1 when you changed belts could be 180 out

Does the crankshaft pulley have a mark on it, the Clymer manual says there is an arrow that needs to be pointing up but my Haynes manual makes no mention of this. Where do the pulse generators get their signal from?

RE: alternator conversion - SIR tricky - 09-23-2016

No it does not. The manual says to mark the pulley when you have set it a TDC with # 1 cylinder

Read the instructions in the picture I posted previously

RE: alternator conversion - glhonda - 09-23-2016

Regardless of timing being correct, or 180 degrees off, it wouldn't have a no spark symptom. The spark may not occur at the right time, but there would be spark. I would look more toward the kill switch and power to the coils.

RE: alternator conversion - alfie1eye - 09-24-2016

(09-23-2016, 10:54 PM)glhonda Wrote: Regardless of timing being correct, or 180 degrees off, it wouldn't have a no spark symptom. The spark may not occur at the right time, but there would be spark. I would look more toward the kill switch and power to the coils.

That's what I will look at next as I turned the switch off then pushed the starter to make sure timing was correct, what I don't know is how or where do the pg's get their signal from.

RE: alternator conversion - SIR tricky - 09-24-2016

description

RE: alternator conversion - alfie1eye - 10-02-2016

Well after ripping everything off again & confirming timing was correct & that there were no loose or severed wires I found the cause of all my problems, some how while removing the r&r I had inadvertently pulled the 4 pin connector that sits next to it slightly apart hence no spark on two plugs now all have to do is replace all the removed plastic fit the Eastern Beaver headlight kit & hopefully be back on the road. It appears that when I was test probing said connector I was pushing it back together lighting up the test light but once removed the two halves were coming apart again. Lesson learnt.

RE: alternator conversion - SIR tricky - 10-02-2016

Good you found the problem

RE: alternator conversion - alfie1eye - 11-09-2016

Just to report the Poorboy conversion is working a treat, have now fitted an Odyssey battery & the Eastern Beaver H4 headlight wiring harness.
Will be fitting Poorboy kit to my Aspencade as well, definitely worth doing.

RE: alternator conversion - SIR tricky - 11-10-2016

good news when everything comes together