GL1200 GOLDWINGS
Hello from Richmond, Va - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: READ HERE FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE AT GL1200 GOLD WINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Hello from Richmond, Va (/showthread.php?tid=6727)

Pages: 1 2

Hello from Richmond, Va - Guest - 03-22-2010

Hello. I finally found an '85 GL1200I after a few months of perusing Craigslist and eBay. I also own an '06 VTX 1300.

I am ready to start on this project to get the bike to the point that I can take a cross country trip if I chose to.

I'll post some pics later this weekend of the 'before' state.

I look forward to learning and sharing a bunch of info with the forum.

Re: Hello from Richmond, Va - kwatts - 03-22-2010

Welcome to the site from South Dakota! You will find lots of good folks and good info here. Can't wait to see the pics of your Goldwing.

Re: Hello from Richmond, Va - Guest - 03-22-2010

Welcome from UpState NY. Enjoy the 85 :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:

Re: Hello from Richmond, Va - Keener - 03-22-2010

And another welcome. This time, from the West side of Canada.

Thanks for the well wishes.

kwatts, a friend of mine and I rode out to your neck of the woods last year and visited Devil's Tower, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands, etc.

I think the best road of the entire trip was The Pig's Tail/Needles Pkwy.

I'm planning a roadtrip to Southern California later this summer. This trip will probably be on the VTX as I won't have the Wing ready for a trip like this by then. Next year, I should be ready to ride to Glacier Nat'l Pk, Yellowstone and the Pacific Coast Hwy on the Wing.

Re: Hello from Richmond, Va - Tropicalsuns - 03-22-2010

If you travel near Vegas I extend a welcome...

I really want to travel to the PCH and Yellowstone on the bike.

I was admiring a vt1300 and vt1800 yesterday (both fine bikes) but these Wings are just a wonderful machine when tweaked road ready...

Welcome to the site.

Re: Hello from Richmond, Va - Tropicalsuns - 03-22-2010

btw I recognize the name djoyner from another site Honda shadow perhaps???

Tropicalsuns Wrote:btw I recognize the name djoyner from another site Honda shadow perhaps???

Thanks Tropicalsuns,

I am a member of the VTX Owners Association (VTXOA.com) site.

I agree, the VTX 1300 is a nice-looking, dependable cruiser but it's not really setup for long-distance touring (even though I've put about 32k on mine in the 2 1/2 years I've owned it.

Re: Hello from Richmond, Va - roscoepc - 03-22-2010

Welcome to the Site from the west side of Ol' Virginnie! 8)

Re: Hello from Richmond, Va - Guest - 03-23-2010

Welcome to the site DJ! Hope you get lots of enjoyment from the Wing!

Re: Hello from Richmond, Va - ccdouble - 03-23-2010

Welcome from N.E. Ohio. I was just in your neighborhood two weeks ago; at the Holiday Inn Koger Conference Center in Richmond. I remember seeing all the bikes out that week. When I left Ohio, it was cold and snowing. The following day in Richmond, everybody was in T shirts and cruising around on the bikes. I had a pity party for myself that I wasn't at home riding the wing!

Re: Hello from Richmond, Va - bluewing - 03-23-2010

Welcome to the site from Baltimore Ontario.

Re: Hello from Richmond, Va - Guest - 03-23-2010

roscoepc Wrote:Welcome to the Site from the west side of Ol' Virginnie! 8)

roscoepc, I was in Salem yesterday and the guy I bought the Wing from lives in Covington. Are you going to attend the Blue Ridge Bike Fest next month?

fysty-1 Wrote:A great big welcome from Canada's west coast. Those are a couple of georeous cruisers you have there on your web pg. But where is the new wing? ;Wink ;Wink ^Smile^

Thanks fysty. I will post some pics of the Wing this weekend.

ccdouble Wrote:Welcome from N.E. Ohio. I was just in your neighborhood two weeks ago; at the Holiday Inn Koger Conference Center in Richmond. I remember seeing all the bikes out that week. When I left Ohio, it was cold and snowing. The following day in Richmond, everybody was in T shirts and cruising around on the bikes. I had a pity party for myself that I wasn't at home riding the wing!
ccdouble, the weather is breaking here in the Commonwealth. It's been around 70 for the last couple of days. Hopefully, the weather in Ohio is warmer and dryer now.

Walter Wrote:Welcome to the site DJ! Hope you get lots of enjoyment from the Wing!
Walter, I plan to put a lot of miles on the Wing after a complete a few maintenance projects on it.

Re: Hello from Richmond, Va - roscoepc - 03-23-2010

Quote:roscoepc, I was in Salem yesterday and the guy I bought the Wing from lives in Covington. Are you going to attend the Blue Ridge Bike Fest next month?

I'd not heard of it till you mentioned it. I'll have to see how my finances and the weather is. I might try it on that Saturday..

Re: Hello from Richmond, Va - Guest - 04-03-2010

Finally go some pics of my new '85 Interstate. I did the stator check and just as I suspected, it has one open winding. I've ordered the Poorboy Alternator Conversion kit and plan to have this completed by next weekend along with the timing belts.

I picked this bike up for $1000.00, so if that's the biggest repair item then I'll consider it a pretty good deal.

[Image: Goldie.jpg]