Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Changing out the Stero.
i do know that years ago you could buy an antenna preamp that could be placed inline with the radio after the distribution block but then again separating the cb and the am/fm antennas would probably be a better idea plus the preamp
haven't seen an antenna preamp but i bet if you could find an old whiteney catalog u could find a part number

opps never mind found one on ebay,will tell you how could it works in a week or so
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Antenna-Radio-AM-FM-Signal-Amp-Amplifier-Booster-/390280887431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ade8dbc87">http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Antenna-Radio-A ... 5ade8dbc87</a><!-- m -->
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#31 01-18-2011, 06:21 PM,
This question just occurred to me and I haven't tried it (but I will). Does the intercom still work when the radio is pulled out of the bracket? If so, then I shouldn't have a problem doing what I want with the change out. If not, back to the old drawing board. B-(
#32 01-19-2011, 09:50 AM,
yes,the intercom works thru the radio
the radio service manual lists 4 section,am,fm,tape,intercom
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#33 01-19-2011, 11:50 AM,
Thanks. I know some genius types who build and wire studios (audio and video). I'll catch one of those guys on a slow day and show him the wiring diagram. They won't be able to resist tinkering with it. :- :- :- :-
#34 01-20-2011, 09:33 AM,
not a guru by ANY means, but it sounds interesting.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Idea
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#35 01-20-2011, 10:49 AM,
I have the wiring diagram, etc. Seems to me that one could open up the junction block (behind the radio) and run the appropriate wires to a new block to route to the various components: radio, cb, intercom, etc., so that a new generation radio could be dropped in. I assume it would be a bit of work but not impossible by any means. [-X
#36 01-21-2011, 01:12 PM,
the radio and cb would not be the problem,your problem is gonna be the intercom circuit is part of the panasonic radio
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#37 01-21-2011, 01:58 PM,
If I'm reading this properly everything (intercom, CB, remote switches, auto volume all route through the radio.) I'll just have to tinker with it and see what happens. Could be I can pirate everything from a HD. :-W :-W :-W

I've been pretty successful at doing things that were impossible right up until I did it. \:d/ \:d/ \:d/
#38 01-21-2011, 03:54 PM,
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck yet and also if anyone thought of just adding one of the Shark systems and leaving the stock stereo alone for intercom and CB usage. I know guys that have them and they really like them.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Shark-motorcycle-audio-system-speakers/dp/B002ZNUAT6/ref=pd_cp_e_2">http://www.amazon.com/Shark-motorcycle- ... =pd_cp_e_2</a><!-- m -->
EDIT: What if I could care less if I have an intercom and CB? Is changing the stock stereo for an aftermarket marine grade stereo possible?
#39 09-06-2011, 09:34 PM,
If you don't use the intercom or CB fine, except of course for the Auto volume, that to me is important, most annoying when it broke down recently, that and the mute button.

I remember having a radio in my 84 Interstate years ago, forever reaching and adjusting the volume.... too loud one minute...to quiet the next.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#40 09-07-2011, 05:50 AM,
A few of the options I've been looking at have wired remotes that I think I might be able to mount where the mute/tune buttons are now. I'm still in the research phase though.
#41 09-07-2011, 12:55 PM,
Hey all. I have a background in 12v electronics, so naturally I am constantly finding ways to integrate aftermarket electronic devices to my goldwing.

I have found a way to rather easily connect an aftermarket radio to the goldwings using the factory amp and auto volume controls. At some point, I will try and figure out a way to tie into the cb system to allow that to continue to work without the factory radio, and also try and find a way to get factory wired remote to work also.

Until then, here is how you get sound from an aftermarket radio on a goldwing.

All the plugs for the factory radio setups from 84-87 seem to be the same from what I have researched. I have an 86 aspy with the rm-1300a radio and I believe the connector I obtained from Sierra-mc(fantastic people there by the way), did not come from this radio, but it works.

What you will need is the factory radio connector that is attached to the radio itself, as I was looking for a plug and play type setup that you find in a car. There is no need to cut wires if you don't want, so you could simply remove the connector and harness from the factory radio if you want.

Ok, if you have ever hooked up a radio in a car, this will be simple.

Aftermarket radio narness:
Yellow - constant battery
Red- accessory
Black - ground
Whites - left channel
Greys - right channel
Blue/stripe - remote turn on(optional, creates turn on pop)

Wires to use off of Factory Connector:
Pin 6 - Accessory power
Pin 8 - ground
Pin 13 - Right Channel
Pin 14 - Left Channel
Pin 15 - Speaker ground
Pin 16 - Power output for Auto Volume Control

Red -> Pin 6, can also tie in Pin 16 for AVC power
Blue/Stripped -> if you did not tie Pin 16 to Pin 6, you can connect it here, though there will be a small turn on pop sound as the remote turn on is a delayed output
Black -> Pin 8, also tie in Pin 15 to ground as well, (will discuss later)
Yellow -> run to battery, can also tie into clock power as it is contant. I hooked it up to Pin 6 for the purposes of testing. This will work, but you will not maintain any radio stations settings, etc.
White -> solid color to Pin 14
Grey -> solid color to Pin 13

The 2 other front channel wires, white/black and grey/black, do not get used. The goldwings have a common ground speaker system in them. All this means is that the negative channel wires to the speakers pull there signal from the bike ground. Tieing Pin 15 to Pin 8, produces the ground signal needed for the speakers.

In order to get radio stations, you will need to purchase an antenna extension cable and run it from under the tool box in false tank up to the aftermarket radio. I just got the radio harness and everything figured out, so I have not come up with a dash mounting system yet, but rest assured, I will.

I am a pioneer fan, unfortunately pioneer does not make the radio that I would like to use. So if anyone is interested, I will be using a Dual XR4115, that you can actually purchase on walmarts website. It is a CD-less radio. AM,FM,USB, SD, and auxillary only. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Namsung-XR4115-200W-Digital-Media-Receiver/16606799">http://www.walmart.com/ip/Namsung-XR411 ... r/16606799</a><!-- m -->

Any questions let me know. I will update this will more pictures of the mounts and everything when I make them.

Attached Files
.jpg   radio.jpg (Size: 236.07 KB / Downloads: 77)
#42 07-22-2012, 04:18 PM,
Quinn,

What's the depth like on that thing? I've been trying to find a unit that won't stick out too far.
Turtle
86 Interstate, ex  police bike
85 LTD, parting out

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#43 07-23-2012, 06:52 AM,
It is your typical 7"depth. I will be working on a mounting system shortly to see how far back I can get it, then make a spacer ring to cover up the gap. I will look for shorter depth radios.

¤ look for a Dual xr4110. From what I was reading, it is only 4.2" in depth. The newer version, which is what I am getting, xr4115 is 5" mounting depth
#44 07-23-2012, 01:36 PM,
Not concerned about rain? Any time I get more than a few hours from home I always get rained on. Those are neat receivers, SD card USB and AUX means you can connect anything to it.
#45 07-25-2012, 07:41 PM,