Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Trip Computer
My Trip Computer on a 1986 Aspencade SEi won't come on in RUN, works fine in ACC. Ideas?
#1 09-02-2013, 08:03 AM,
have you checked the fuse in the left pocket (3A)
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 09-02-2013, 09:11 AM,
We found unplugging all the plugs inside the faux tank and replugging them in often corrects problems with readouts, it has even corrected the digital speedo when it quit a couple of times. I now use electronic spray and give the connections a good shot of cleaner once or twice a year to keep all those contacts clean, there's so many contacts in those plugs.I make it part of maintenance just like using Seafoam in the tank to keep the injectors clean. A few weeks ago we unplugged the computer under the trunk and gave it the electronic spray cleaner treatment as well and any other plugs under the seat.
Not sure if all LTD & SEI owners know this but the engine will start up and run with the seat off and the faux tank off and all those plugs disconnected. This allows us to trace wires and problems with the engine running and yet have access to main wiring,map sensors,coils and so forth.I did'nt know this til recently when my son helped me trouble shoot and showed me this trick.
#3 09-02-2013, 10:29 PM,
(09-02-2013, 10:29 PM)sparky65 Wrote: We found unplugging all the plugs inside the faux tank and replugging them in often corrects problems with readouts, it has even corrected the digital speedo when it quit a couple of times. I now use electronic spray and give the connections a good shot of cleaner once or twice a year to keep all those contacts clean, there's so many contacts in those plugs.I make it part of maintenance just like using Seafoam in the tank to keep the injectors clean. A few weeks ago we unplugged the computer under the trunk and gave it the electronic spray cleaner treatment as well and any other plugs under the seat.
Not sure if all LTD & SEI owners know this but the engine will start up and run with the seat off and the faux tank off and all those plugs disconnected. This allows us to trace wires and problems with the engine running and yet have access to main wiring,map sensors,coils and so forth.I did'nt know this til recently when my son helped me trouble shoot and showed me this trick.
One product that I use on pins and plugs is Deoxit. It's kinda expensive but it really works to keep connections good and a tiny little bit goes a very long way. I became familiar with it working on electronics. Some electronic supply stores and of course online places sell it as well.

#4 04-08-2014, 07:13 AM,