Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
HELP! SNAPPED FRONT AXLE RETAINING STUD!!
HELP!!!!!!

Does anyone know if the front fork studs that connect the front axel holder to the fork are replaceable, and if so, 1) where to get them, what they are made of and what size the are, and 2) a technique for replacing them, preferably without removing the forks!

I am SO pissed at myself. I looked at the Frame Torque Specs in the front of the Clymer manual and thought I was being so methodical in replacing the front wheel. Damn if I didn't look too quickly and set the torque wrench for the 43 ft-lbs for the "Front Axle Nut" instead of the 18 ft-lbs for the "Front Axle Holder Nut" !!! Before the first one snapped, I had been tightening each one in sequence, so I probably deformed the other three too much to safely rely on them anymore. With the intact ones, I can probably get enough bite for a double-nut removal if they aren't heat-shrunk interference fit parts. The one that snapped will be a bitch to remove....

Everyone should do themselves a favor and circle the 18 ft-lb number for the "Front Axle Holder Nut" so you don't repeat my idiotic mistake!!

Anyone have any experience with this?? AngryAngryAngry

(04-19-2015, 05:11 PM)wallbrad Wrote: Before the first one snapped, I had been tightening each one in sequence, so I probably deformed the other three too much to safely rely on them anymore.

Interesting what happens when you don't double check the manual before doing stuff like this! I forgot that the front end of the axle holder was supposed to be in contact with the fork and tightened first to the specified torque before tightening the rear nuts!!! Good thing it broke or I could have overloaded the studs while riding due to my incorrect torque sequence!!! Funny how God keeps me from my own fatal mistakes by throwing a trivial one in front of me to keep me from the wrong path!

I also looked around some other wing forums and did a better search around here on different words. Looks like the studs are replaceable and should be able to be replaced while the forks are on the bike. Now to locate the correct parts in someone's warehouse.... Anyone know for certain the length and thread size for an 85 GL1200i ? Some of the on-line catalogs won't show the part--worried that it is no longer made?

-Brad
#1 04-19-2015, 05:11 PM,

Messages In This Thread
HELP! SNAPPED FRONT AXLE RETAINING STUD!! - by wallbrad - 04-19-2015, 05:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to take the retaining ring out of the rear shock 1 1,415 09-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Guest