Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Possible Overstretched Shift Drum Stop Spring
May 2016 was my last post on this subject.
Here it is February 2017 - Life getting in the way of my hobbies is a fact of Life. Smile

Well, here is the short version - I am selling my 1984 GL1200I.

Here is the long version -
The transmission repair, engine refurbish went well, but I tripped at the goal and the clock ran out.
I took the suggestion of re-torqueing the heads after a couple hundred miles and I must have done it wrong because she is consuming oil like crazy. At 1000 miles the bike started to run on three cylinders and in the next 2 miles, she was running on two.
Number 3 and 4 spark plugs are oil fouled. Number 4 considerably more than number 3.
I removed the valve covers wanting to check on the valve stem oil seals I replaced. Hard to see.
I removed the left cam, stuffed number 4 cylinder with rope and removed the lifter springs.
Both intake and exhaust valve stem oil seals are seated properly.
Reassembled, brand new spark plugs and she fires right up, valves are noticeably quieter (I cleaned the oil galleys while I had her open) but a smoke screen was generated at the tail pipes.
Still averaged 44 mpg for that 1000 miles, but oil consumptions was doubled!!!!
My guess - the oil orifice o rings got damaged when I torqued the heads after the break-in period.
It is an easy fix: new head gaskets and o rings.

There is one more ingredient to this recipe - my wife.
"You are spending a lot of time keeping that bike running."
"It's a 32 year-old motorcycle and it needs attention to keep it running good."
(here it comes..........

....... wait for it)
"I am your ** year-old wife and I need attention to keep me running good."
(there is no rebuttal kids!!)

Her suggestion is to sell the 32 year-old design and get something newer. NOT stop riding but an upgrade.
So, I am in the process of doing just that.
In addition to my 84I commuter, I have a 84 Standard, rolling, running. Missing seat, some hand controls, fender and lights. The standard has 45K in grease pen on the final drive housing. Based on the condition of the chrome and front fender paint, and the smoothness of the engine, I am incline to agree, this is the mileage on the parts bike.
The plan is to part out the Standard, sell the Interstate and get something newer.
Probably not a Goldwing because I want to be able to see through the motorcycle. (old school that way) and the new wings are covered in bodywork.

IAC - it has been a fun ride with you folks. I have enjoyed my 8 year ride with my 84I and this forum. I have taken a lot of information from this forum, and I hope I have given back more than I have taken. I hope I have helped others as others have helped me.
If you take away anything from this thread - know you can do ANYTHING with guidance, time and patience. You CAN do it, just do it right. Don't cut corners.

Special thanks to the admins., present and past. (Sundance is one name which comes to mind)

Special, special thanks to Vic (RIP), his wife and children for starting this site.

I'm not leaving as I want to still be able to give back, I just won't be on a GL1200.
Thanks Folks.
-Ride On

(...then again, if the parts engine is not sold, and the commuter wing is not sold, it wouldn't take much to take out the 150K engine and put in the 45K engine. hmmmmm?)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#30 02-09-2017, 10:37 AM,

Messages In This Thread
RE: Possible Overstretched Shift Drum Stop Spring - by bs175dths - 02-09-2017, 10:37 AM