Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
starter R/R chain and sprocket
Ok, I needed to repair my starter so I followed directions and things seemed to be going fine. I pulled starter out and cleaned up while waiting for rebuild kit. Put new parts in and ready to put back in bike. Had to go in for an unforseen surgery the other day, minor delay. Got home yesterday and deciced if I felt up to it I would put starter back in this morning. To my suprise Angry this is what I was faced with.
[Image: 001_zps879e2e43.jpg]
What the heck Huh I'm thinking I may be able to use a pick tool and grab the sprocket. Does it just fit between the clogs? The bike has just sat on the center stand for a few days. I gess the answer to the old question is; "YES, the chain and gear can fall. So use something to ensure it stays putIdea"
Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.
#1 03-01-2014, 10:51 AM,
you should be able to easily move the chain enough so that the hole in the sprocket will pull back enough to put a screwdriver or something into the hole to move it back
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 03-01-2014, 11:41 AM,
Using this pick and prayers, I was able to reposition. Almost lost sprocket at one point when it fell off chain. Do not remember if I have told you yet but if it's going to happen, it's going to happen to me. was able to get starter back in and tried a test crank. started to spin then stalled outSad Have bike on charger now and will retry in a little while. The thing better spin or you may see it on the "for sale" list. aaaarrrrgggghhh
[Image: 003_zpscb1c92b6.jpg]
#3 03-01-2014, 12:48 PM,
(03-01-2014, 12:48 PM)blandaw Wrote: Using this pick and prayers, I was able to reposition. Almost lost sprocket at one point when it fell off chain. Do not remember if I have told you yet but if it's going to happen, it's going to happen to me. was able to get starter back in and tried a test crank. started to spin then stalled outSad Have bike on charger now and will retry in a little while. The thing better spin or you may see it on the "for sale" list. aaaarrrrgggghhh
[Image: 003_zpscb1c92b6.jpg]

I think I remember reading that you need to have it on the sidestand to keep the chain and gear from swinging over towards the center.It would make it hard to get at with it tilted that way though.
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#4 03-01-2014, 02:15 PM,
That is how I replaced mine on the side stand. It wasn't to hard to get at. And the gear never moved. Glad you got yours back together.
#5 03-01-2014, 07:04 PM,
(03-01-2014, 07:04 PM)jaycojman43 Wrote: That is how I replaced mine on the side stand. It wasn't to hard to get at. And the gear never moved. Glad you got yours back together.

Thanks to all. Now I still have another Problem. Will post on a new thread, it is still starter related, so please follow and try to help. I know someone will help get me running again. Will post title as "starter burned out?"
#6 03-01-2014, 07:14 PM,