Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Starter Spinning
Hello to all,
I have an 84 GL1200 Interstate.
The bike is running great, but every once in a while I hit the starter button and it sounds like the starter is spinning but not engaging. It does this every once in a while; whether the bike is cold or hot. It's not a big deal, I just wait for it to stop spinning and hit the start button again and it usually starts up.
All comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Ride Safe,
Bodag
#1 05-30-2013, 12:43 PM,
Sounds like the stater clutch
#2 05-30-2013, 04:54 PM,
clutch is possible,if so run some seafoam in the oil for 50 miles or so and change oil,but it can also be the starter needs a tuneup,battery somewhat weak or dirty cables or connections
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 05-30-2013, 06:20 PM,
(05-30-2013, 04:54 PM)jaycojman43 Wrote: Sounds like the stater clutch

Thanks, I'll look into it!
Ride Safe,
Bodag

(05-30-2013, 06:20 PM)neoracer Wrote: clutch is possible,if so run some seafoam in the oil for 50 miles or so and change oil,but it can also be the starter needs a tuneup,battery somewhat weak or dirty cables or connections

Thanks, I'll try the sea foam, and check the cables, the battery is brand new.
Ride Safe,
Goodoni
#4 05-31-2013, 03:35 AM,
My motorcycle was doing this bad at the beginning of the season this year. Everytime I started it it would spin. Sometime it would take a minute or two to get it to engage. I feared that it was time to replace the starter clutch which involves pulling the motor. As a hail mary I put seafoam in my oil and drove it 100 light miles, then replaced with fresh oil. It failed to engage once more a few days afterwards, then it never happened again. I have had one push starts all summer so this definately does work.
#5 07-15-2013, 08:48 AM,
(05-31-2013, 03:35 AM)Bodag Wrote:
(05-30-2013, 04:54 PM)jaycojman43 Wrote: Sounds like the stater clutch

Thanks, I'll look into it!
Ride Safe,
Bodag

(05-30-2013, 06:20 PM)neoracer Wrote: clutch is possible,if so run some seafoam in the oil for 50 miles or so and change oil,but it can also be the starter needs a tuneup,battery somewhat weak or dirty cables or connections

Thanks, I'll try the sea foam, and check the cables, the battery is brand new.
Ride Safe,
Goodoni

The stater motor needs to spin fast enough to engage the starter clutch. Some causes are:
a weak battery - Don't rule out a new battery which is not taking a charge due to some fault in the charging system. Test the battery/charging system, then rule it out.
A stater tune-up may be required, as mentioned.
Large carbon dust build up, lack of grease or old grease which has thickened, corroded cable terminals at battery, starter or frame ground may not allow enough electrons to move.
Incorrect oil viscocity (usually comes into play when the engine is cold, not hot).
I like trying the easy stuff first, then go to testing or removing parts.
Checking all electrical connections for cleanliness and torque, health of the battery (specific gravity of each cell and/or a load test), oil viscocity, Seafoam, starter health and then a possible clutch issue is the way I would approach this situation.

Good Luck

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#6 07-15-2013, 08:59 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starter Spinning marksaunders 8 5,430 06-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Last Post: SIR tricky