Poll: Love your GL1200 forever or stuck with it due to finances?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I'm married to my GL1200 and will keep her until death do us part.
92.59%
50 92.59%
I would abandon my GL1200 in a heartbeat if I had the cash.
7.41%
4 7.41%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.57 Average
Do you drive a GL1200 because it is all you can afford or because you love your 1200
While having dinner with a friend this evening we discussed GL1200's and GL1800's and the GL1500 is included here also. The topic was moving up to a newer Wing or staying with your GL1200. My friend say's it's just a matter of finances and I say it's a matter loving and appreciating your old girl. If money were no object would you scrap your GL1200 and race over to a brand new GL1800. If I were to win the lottery (like I'll ever do that in my lifetime) I would keep my 1200 because it is the finest motorcycle I have ever owned and extended test rides on GL1500's and GL1800's have not induced me in any way to consider changing up to a newer model. Maybe I am biased because I own this website and my GL1200 has brought many new friends into my life, but, what makes me even more biased is the fact that my GL1200 has been so darn reliable and easy to work on and the only component that has ever let me down is the stator, but, an external alternator has that covered. I am also biased because I know my 1200 like the back of my hand and I do all repairs myself, it is super easy to work on unlike the more user unfriendly newer bikes. My 1200 has more than enough power to get me into trouble and I just love the looks of the 1200. How about you, would you ditch your GL1200 if you had a large pocket full of cash or do you love you GL1200 so much that you will, like me, keep your GL1200 for as long as you can ride it. Don't be afraid to be honest because your difference of opinion is worth as much as my opinion because we are talking personal preference here. Give me some reasons for your yes and no answers.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#1 08-04-2013, 06:17 PM,
When I decided I was going to ride again, I decided I would get the bike I had always wanted... a 1984 GL 1200 Aspencade.

I admired this particular style when they first arrived on the scene and in my opinion, Freedom is more than I had ever anticipated from this particular model.

Would I trade Freedom for a 1500 or 1800??

Not a chance!
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#2 08-04-2013, 07:34 PM,
I'd be lying if I said I keep my 1200 because I love it, don't get me wrong i do love my bike and the price was right. I paid $3,000 it came with a box of chrome parts (not a big fan of a lot of chrome) that I sold for well over $500 and I have enjoyed virtually trouble free riding for the last three years. But having said that the first sign of trouble i will jump to a 1,500 or maybe an 1,800 if it were a good deal, failing that I might move over to a big Vulcan or even a Harley because they are more comfortable bikes (not being horizontal engines).
#3 08-04-2013, 08:21 PM,
Our GL1200 is a keeper in our modest stable of bikes because we have fixed it up to suit our needs and it is like an old friend to hop on and ride. We enjoy the time and technology it represents. It is not our "one and only" and was never meant to be. But if you like to ride something a bit "classic" in age and ample of tonnage, it might as well be a GL1200 - sorted out and maintained they handle nice, stop well, and are Honda reliable.

#4 08-05-2013, 05:27 AM,
I really like my 1200 and the overall feel.
I have not ridden a 1500 or 1800 yet.
The only reason I would consider moving up is I am told they are both a little more roomy in the saddle and being 6'3" and long legged I might find that more comfy. But of course it would still be a honda.

I do still love the 1200 and the more I ride her/work on her the more attached I get. These days I can't manage to have more than one in the stable but that may change soon.
Andy
Silver 1984 Interstate
GWRRA WAO
#5 08-05-2013, 06:47 AM,
I loved my original new 1985 gl1200 that I kept for 10 years. Enjoyed going out west, out east,down south etc with never a single problem
After owning an 04 st1300 for a couple of years, I thought I would like going back to the gl1200 rather than keeping the st13. Well the particular GL1200 I got just wasnt the same as I remembered. Maybe just spoiled by the newer bike with much more power,incredible brakes, adjustable windshield etc etc.
BUT.. I've said it before.. if they put out a brand new gl1200 based on the gl1800, I'd probably buy it in a flash. I know that is wishfull thinking, so I may just be getting a gl1800 next year. Rode a few of them and did liked them alot. Just have to figure out a way to get rid of the helmet buffeting that they all had where the gl1200 had none.
For it's time, I dont think there was a better bike in 85.
#6 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM,
I’ve ridden many bikes in my time, most were bought as projects (I like to tinker).
Most were undressed, some fully dressed. CB125, Bridgestone 175, Harley-Davidson 250, RD350, CX500, GL500 (2X), CX650, GL650, XJ650J, XS650, H2 (750 Triple, 2-stroke), GL1000 (3X), XLCH1000, FLT1200, CB750 Chopper, GL1200 and I am missing a few.
I have always like motorcycles since I was about 6 year old and my Dad came home with a used, Honda Dream.

The economy became a challenge, my commute went from 1.1 miles to 31.6 miles and my income was cut to less than half of what I was making.
Still had a wife and four children, grade school, high school and college still to go, a mortgage and bills, bills, bills.
I needed a commuter motorcycle, inexpensive to buy into, inexpensive to maintain, large enough to be seen by the poor drivers on the road and large enough to get me out of trouble…..
I found her for $1500.00, needing some long overdue TLC and she hasn’t disappointed me yet.

Yes she is older than many bikes.
Yes she has high miles.
Yes her technology is dated.

But I found an awesome find!

As mentioned, I grew up with motor-cycles. I want to see the MOTOR in the cycle. Don’t cover it up with panels!!!! (I once told an undercover Honda designer)
If I could get another GL1200, I would over a 1500 or an 1800. That’s me.

She does what I need her to do, AND puts a smile on my face in the process.

(but I have to admit, if I could shoehorn a CBX engine into the frame of my C750 Chopper, I would!)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#7 08-06-2013, 03:39 PM,
Just my personal logic here, but, if I was buying a GL1800 I would buy one in great shape with at least 20,000 k's on it in order that I could ride trouble free rather than sitting for extended periods while the bike is in the dealers garage sorting out the warranty problems that all new machines seem to have.
I say this because each and every one of my own brand new cars/bikes sat in the shop for far too long, in fact my 1986 Jeep Comanche pickup sat at the dealer's shop for a little over 4 months in its first year, believe it or not, and it was stolen and damaged twice from their lot. All my other new cars and bikes were also riddled with many minor issues that only the dealer was allowed to fix. No more of this crap for me, now I buy used only and I can do my own repairs in my own garage and I get to determine when and how my bike will be repaired. You don't get that option with a new bike these days as it must be repaired by the Honda dealer or your warranty is void. Too many bad (nightmarish) experiences with new vehicles for me, but, I personally repair everything on my bike/boat/car/trailer from top to bottom and I realize that most don't have that ability so the only choice is buying a vehicle with a warranty. The problems do get sorted out eventually, but, why be the one that is stuck with processing all the time consuming warranty issues when you could leave it for someone else to do while they are eating up the big depreciation expense as well. If you are uncommonly wealthy or you simply must have brand new so you can one up your neighbor then go for new, but, if you do go for new then cross your fingers, say a prayer and hope your dealer wears a condom when he asks you to bend over as he totals up your balance due invoice after completing warranty repairs. Oh and one last thing, sometimes dealers have apprentices work on your new machines and they quite possibly may not be as skilled as you are at fixing your bike. Really, I've been there, done that. Good luck whichever way you decide to buy.

#8 08-06-2013, 03:46 PM,
(08-06-2013, 02:49 PM)olddude53 Wrote: I loved my original new 1985 gl1200 that I kept for 10 years. Enjoyed going out west, out east,down south etc with never a single problem
After owning an 04 st1300 for a couple of years, I thought I would like going back to the gl1200 rather than keeping the st13. Well the particular GL1200 I got just wasnt the same as I remembered. Maybe just spoiled by the newer bike with much more power,incredible brakes, adjustable windshield etc etc.
BUT.. I've said it before.. if they put out a brand new gl1200 based on the gl1800, I'd probably buy it in a flash. I know that is wishfull thinking, so I may just be getting a gl1800 next year. Rode a few of them and did liked them alot. Just have to figure out a way to get rid of the helmet buffeting that they all had where the gl1200 had none.
For it's time, I dont think there was a better bike in 85.

The ST1300 is an awesome bike, but, definitely not in the same class as a GL1200. It's more of a crotch rocket with saddlebags. The bike I had before this Wing was a GSX 1100 Suzuki and my 1200 sure felt slow and cumbersome after riding the Suzuki, but, it was also not in the same class as my Wing, but, had to move up to a GL1200 to find biking comfort for my wife and gear we needed to carry on our trips. I do miss raising the front wheel of my bike on demand and I also miss the great handling of the Suzuki, but, I don't miss hearing my wife scream and holler every time I cracked the throttle on the Suzi. I did check out a number of GL1800's over the years, even on extended rides and not one of the 1800's I rode impressed me very much in comparison to me GL1200, except in the issue of bottom end torque which is very nice and strong. I won't be towing any cars with my 1200 and I do favor the lines of my 1200 over the 1800 so there isn't much that the 1800 can offer me over the 1200 unless I get into racing which does not appear to be likely to happen at my age and the price of insurance. Everyone has there own needs and perception of what a bike should be and for me the GL1200 is perfect. Now if my wife ever leaves me then the focus of discussion will change greatly, but, for now our GL1200 is the best bike for us because it does everything we want I to do and more. We love that yellow bike a whole big bunch.

#9 08-06-2013, 04:56 PM,
I agree the ST1300 is not a replacement but there are lots of good cruising bikes available all have good and bad points. Im not too concerned about taking a 1500 or an 1800 to the shop I imagine the guys that bought the 1200's new must have shared your apprehensions way back when. I like my 1200, I lost a stupid side cover so I will be painting it soon (probably right after the Sudbury Trip) but as i mentioned earlier first sign of trouble you can call me George Jefferson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjVtKsSZwE4
#10 08-06-2013, 08:01 PM,
I would swap out the 1200 for something that handles better and has more legroom with equivalent cargo carrying capacity.

That particular bike doesn't seem to exist. The GL1200 is the best possible option for the price.

The GL1800 doesn't have enough extra legroom to make the swap worthwhile for me (although the heavily discounted brand new YELLOW 2010 at a local dealer really had me thinking). Sure handles great though, fantastic engine too. I love the way it looks from the front. Might have to rent one again.

The HD Electra Glide has the legroom and cargo space but that engine - forget it. Wife and I both couldn't stand the heat, and it sure made me worried the way the oil light pressure light flickered at idle once it got really hot in traffic.

Victory doesn't make anything I would be seen on without a bag on my head. The Cross Country is marginally acceptable but my wife nixed that one with a quick sit test in the showroom.

Can't imagine the Japanese Vtwin cruiser/tourers would be any better for handling and riding position.

I should say that this is all based on carrying my wife and all her paraphernalia. If it was just me I'd be on a BMW R1200RT or a similar sport tourer pretty quickly.
#11 08-06-2013, 08:36 PM,
id keep my 1200

for me im a sportbike/streetfighter guy and had never even considerd a wing
my Uncle owns a 93 1500 that id ridden a few time its was ok but i was always glad to give it back

then i had a 96 fireblade for sale or swap and a guy turned up on a Z650 to make the deal but i didnt go for it as the Z just wassnt good enough so off he went then an hour later he turned up on the 1200 i laughed at hin and said no thanks but he insisted i take it for a run....

20mins later i came back and threw the fireblade keys to him Big Grin

(now i still own 11 other bikes so didnt change completly Wink )

one of the things i like about the 1200 is it still looks like a bike where as the 1500/1800s look like paris hiltons handbags with wheels Tongue

[Image: garrage30-03-1331_zpse950bec3.jpg]
#12 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM,
what i like most about my 1500 is the extra room in the saddle. the alternator went on on it earlier this summer, took about 40 minutes to replace it. i lilke the 1800 but the 1500 has a bigger trunk and the 1200 seems to have a bigger trunk. do i like my 1200 wing yes and if i had never gotten the 1500 i would still be very happy ( which i am every time i ride it ) with the 1200 wing
'75cb750 ,'79cb750superK,
'93gl1500se, '79cb 750f,
'85cb450sc, '05sunL70
'06 ST 1300....william
#13 09-06-2013, 07:34 PM,
To all from Ship

Owning a classic Goldwing be it a 1000, 1100 or a 1200 is like being in on the bottom step of owning the next classic. These bikes can be compered to as in the day owning a 66 chevy, you eye balled the new Cameros and Mustangs waiting to trade up. But now what is that old chevy worth?

I take pride in my bike it is not a bike in a box. It is an example of my love and hard work a signature my of creativity. I like the fact that I use my creativity to mold MY BIKE into what I find pleasing. A canvas to be painted.

When you read my sign in you see I call myself a collector not a mechanic/expert. Being a part of this group has instilled me with more than enough knowledge to now know my bike. Were else can you find such a group.

Go to the dark side? NOT ME I'm looking to buy more. I have two 85 Ltds one parts and two 84 asspys. I wont be happy until I have a 86 and 87. Each will be developed as a canvas with what I think is the perfect bike.

Next year if all goes well with my company I will be putting my bikes in a number shows to show the full collectability of these unique bikes.

Ship
Fair winds and following seas..........to all

Main bike 85 Ltd
Two 84 Asspys
85 Ltd part bike
New to the barn 89 1500A
#14 09-07-2013, 03:46 PM,
If I ever had the cash to buy a 1800 Stella would still be here in her stall and still be ridden regularly but not on long trips she is good to ride but something with 50 some thousand miles is not what I want to take on long rides but I love her and she will be with me as long as I am around.
Jerry
#15 09-07-2013, 04:03 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have a Love for my GL1200, but.... bs175dths 4 3,311 02-29-2016, 06:21 PM
Last Post: jaycojman43
  I LOVE MY GL1200, I REALLY DO admin 14 7,546 10-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Last Post: sparky65
  I'm glad I drive a GL1200 admin 10 3,710 11-10-2007, 05:33 AM
Last Post: 85GL1200I