Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Painting my 86 1200I
I am thinking about painting my Interstate, I was wondering if I will need to prime the body panels or just sand and paint?
#1 08-09-2013, 07:35 PM,
(08-09-2013, 07:35 PM)tlewis1986 Wrote: I am thinking about painting my Interstate, I was wondering if I will need to prime the body panels or just sand and paint?

I recently painted my fender (I've posted pics of the results), trunk top and fairing parts to match the original Honda colors and I took my plastic down to bare. You may not want to hear that, but like building a house they both require a sound foundation and our 27 year old paint is exceedingly thin (I don't know how they did it since electrostatic on plastic seems impossible) and may have compatiblity problems with todays paint formulations. So if you want a quality job that lasts, go with all new paint. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I went through the same argument with myself - I talked to my guy at the paint supplier and an auto body instructor at the local trade school and they convinced me to grin and bear the additional time and effort to do the job right.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Dan
Past Rides:
'57 Allstate (Puch) Moped
'68 Honda CL350
'71 Honda CB750 K1
'65 Ossa Stiletto 250
Gloria - '69 Pontiac GTO convertible
Current:
Angela - '85 Honda GL1200A
Silvia - '05 Honda GL1800
#2 08-09-2013, 08:06 PM,
Thanks, I have been doing the same thing arguing with my self.

Any ideas of a paint supplier that specializes in plastic primer and paint?
#3 08-10-2013, 08:51 AM,
I used Finishmasters for my paint, but I couldn't say if they are down your way in FL. You might ask one of the auto body instructors at a local trade school or JC for who they use (you might want to take a class to get access to a professional spray booth and maybe a discount on the paint you need). Auto paint makers are pretty much a 2 horse race: PPG & DuPont although a buddy of mine was told by Yamaha to buy Duplicolor for his new bags - so I guess they are a possibility.
I wanted to talk face to face with a knowledgable person (and not buy on the internet) because I was plunking down some $$ plus I had a problem getting my colors in todays formulation, since the old acrylics are obselete thanks to the EPA.
Whatever you choose to do, good luck.
Dan
Past Rides:
'57 Allstate (Puch) Moped
'68 Honda CL350
'71 Honda CB750 K1
'65 Ossa Stiletto 250
Gloria - '69 Pontiac GTO convertible
Current:
Angela - '85 Honda GL1200A
Silvia - '05 Honda GL1800
#4 08-11-2013, 09:56 AM,