Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
What would you replace when you change a motor?
What would you replace when you change a motor?
Here my saga,
1st had water pump go bad and burnt head gasket replace both along with new timing belts,thermostat,,radiator cap and hoses

2nd had no spark thought it was a bad pluses genitor replace it was not it, then thought it was a bad cdi replace it was not it then found power wire coming from kill switch was bad replace it along with a coil mod. got nice hot spark.

3rd had a bad backfire found out you CAN NOT clean carbs. with Napa spray carb cleaner had to rebuild carbs.

4th still had a small backfire Don't trust Clymer Manual it tell you one coil fires 1&3 Cylinder other fires 2&4 WRONG One fires 1&2 other Fires 3&4 only way a found out went to a shop and they had a 86 gl1200 and it was wired the right way change mine' and had carbs. sync had a small lifter knock after about 100 miles with some MMO it pump up

5th check comp. low around 120 all 4 cyls.

6th now after it gets up to temp. I have a small rod knock, Found a used engine a 1986 with 46000 miles on it what would you replace when you change motor? I am going to replace all of new parts off old motor
#1 09-03-2013, 03:57 AM,
The Bike .... if I have to replace my motor, my driveway will quickly be adorned with a Shiny new ................ (still thinking on this part)

I think I'm different than most guys here - machines work for me - not da udder way around..!! And (sorry Neo ) I might even get one of those noisy Chrome ones that have a more comfortable foot position, prices are plummeting on them and I can put up with the sputtering at idle ..
#2 09-03-2013, 03:35 PM,
Ha, that's kinda funny 1060 since my buddy just sold his Road King and bought a GL1200. He was tired of the vibration, the feet forward position, poor handling in the curves, narrow seat for the misses, loud pipes
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#3 09-03-2013, 04:08 PM,