Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Considering swapping an 1100 engine into a gl1000 frame
Does anyone have any experience on installing a Gl1100 engine in a GL 1000 frame? I have a 1978 GL1000 that that knocks when pushed above 3000 rpm, so I need to fix/change out the engine this winter. If I'm going to fix/change the engine anyway, having the extra CCs in a GL1000 frame would be nice.

I have already installed GL1200 rear air shocks on the 1000 because the machine was bottoming on rough roads. So far, no more bottoming.

Thanks;

Tom
#1 08-18-2013, 07:27 PM,
if you check in the at www.classicgoldwings.com and look at joedrumm s posts he has done that and much more and it is all posted on that site
#2 08-18-2013, 07:53 PM,
(08-18-2013, 07:53 PM)chasrogers Wrote: if you check in the at www.classicgoldwings.com and look at joedrumm s posts he has done that and much more and it is all posted on that site

But the big question is WHY ..? (wish I had that kind of time on my hands..)
#3 08-19-2013, 02:53 PM,
1. Machinery shouldn't knock.
2. Because I still can.
3. Because the GL1200I has no urgent requirements.
4. Because my daughter rides the 1000 and she isn't a small person.
5. I'm even thinking about pulling the 1200 engine and rebuilding it this winter.
6. It gives me a reason to get out of a chair and do something in the garage this winter.
7. Yes, I have a lot of time on my hands. I also volunteer with AARP TaxAide (the program prepares and files US federal and state income tax returns FREE for people with low to moderate incomes, with special emphasis on taxpayers over 60). My teams prepared over 700 returns last year. The overall program prepared about 2.6 million returns last year. Check it out on the web at http://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/ because you may qualify for the free service.

My bad. I didn't look to see where you were located. I don't know if AARP has a sister organization in Canada.

Yes, AARP has a sister organization in Canada. It's named CARP and features a picture of a fish on the web page.
#4 08-21-2013, 06:17 AM,

(08-21-2013, 06:17 AM)PurpleGL1200 Wrote: 1. Machinery shouldn't knock. unless it is telling a joke
2. Because I still can.we can all appreciate that!
3. Because the GL1200I has no urgent requirements.aint it lovely when all they need is to be ridden
4. Because my daughter rides the 1000 and she isn't a small person.yaaa for daughter who like to ride!
5. I'm even thinking about pulling the 1200 engine and rebuilding it this winter.that would make a cool post!!
6. It gives me a reason to get out of a chair and do something in the garage this winter.projects, projects, projects, keep that brain a workin'
7. Yes, I have a lot of time on my hands. I also volunteer with AARP TaxAide (the program prepares and files US federal and state income tax returns FREE for people with low to moderate incomes, with special emphasis on taxpayers over 60). My teams prepared over 700 returns last year. The overall program prepared about 2.6 million returns last year. Check it out on the web at http://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/ because you may qualify for the free service.(applause)

My bad. I didn't look to see where you were located. I don't know if AARP has a sister organization in Canada.The Internal Revenue Service has a very appropriate name…… after all they only want what is THEIRS (THE I.R.S)

Yes, AARP has a sister organization in Canada. It's named CARP and features a picture of a fish on the web page.
#5 08-21-2013, 06:59 AM,