Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.44 Average
Engine removal, how much should I "rebuild"?
I am developing a small oil leak coming from the rear of the motor. Looks to be in the stator cover area, maybe clutch. It isn't anything extensive, YET! It's enough to have oil buildup but no drip marks on pavement when parked overnight. Since I need my girl to last me at least another 4 more years, and she is my main vehicle, I plan on pulling the motor after the first snow, when I put the bike up for a month or 2, and do the gaskets. I plan on replacing as much as possible. My question is how far should I really go in overhauling the entire motor? All the work will be done by myself (my son and wife always help -- yes wife, she is a better mechanic than me LOL), but I have never done more than a head gasket job on a 1996 Yukon. I am willing to go full and just disassemble the entire thing and clean her up and do all the o-rings and gaskets, but I am just nervous that I may go over my head. Should I attempt this to be my first engine to "overhaul"?

Suggestions? Thoughts? Warnings?

Just for an idea, I do not let a mechanic touch anything on our bikes. The only time is replacing my wife's tires on her new Concours 14, I couldn't spoon her tire on, those low profile style tires are too stiff to mount without hydraulic tire machine. Even then, I remove the wheel and old tire and bring the wheel and new tire to have them mount it.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#1 09-18-2013, 04:47 AM,
Fix the leak, put the cover back on and leave it be.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 09-18-2013, 04:48 AM,
That's my thoughts right now.....I will be doing the head gasket and clutch replacement as well since it will be out. It should be easier to do those, in theory.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#3 09-18-2013, 04:57 AM,
What is it leaking? Engine oil or hydraulic fluid?
How many miles are on the bike?
I am the second owner of an Interstate which is pushing 143,000 miles and according to the service records of the OO, the clutch has never been replaced and (knock on wood) isn’t showing signs of needing replacement.
Other than addressing the fluid leaking, depending on the miles and any performance issues, (since you are back there anyway) a potential list of things may include clutch plates, clutch slave cylinder rebuild and cleaning of the actuating rod, clutch hydraulic hose (going braided instead of rubber), cleaning of dirt and rust from the frame and a good coat of paint.

Other than that, I am in agreement with the ‘leave well-enough alone’ attitude. Big Grin
You don’t want to get into (as one member has stated), if it ain’t broke, I can fix that – syndrome.

In a way (not really Tongue) I am envious of you folks who have the winter to do your projects on your rides.
Where I live, the weather is good 400 days a year and I only have the weekend to get my projects addressed.

The rest of the time, ………..I am riding. (friendly jab!) Angel

I SAID FRIENDLY JAB – DON’T WARM UP THE TAR AND GET THE FEATHERS!!!!
IT’S NOT LIKE A BOUGHT A 1500 AND PAINTED IT YELLOW! GEEEEEEEZ.

Joking aside, these bikes are very durable and require little.
Fix what is broken and do preventative maintenance on the rest if you deem it needs it.
You certainly don’t want to lay the bike up longer than the winter and miss out on WHAT LITTLE RIDING TIME YOU HAVE! (sorry, last one. Honest. Really. NOT)

Let us know how it goes and what you find and what you decide to address.

(and don’t chip a nail while handing your wife the tools, LOL)

KIDDING, JUST KIDDING. NO REALLY, THIS TIME I AM JUST KIDDING. THAT WAS THE LAST ONE.

I wish I had someone interested as your family is.
I am the only one in my family and among my siblings who ENJOYS turning a wrench, the thrill of saving the labor charge, the accomplishment of bringing a machine back to life after others had given up.

Good Luck, have fun and don’t get in too deep!

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#4 09-18-2013, 07:46 AM,
Its oil and not hydraulic. I was thinking about doing the clutch and cleaning out the slave cylinder and all since I had it out and have access. I have had the bike for just over 3 years and have no history on it. When I finally got around to the carbs I found that they were overhauled poorly.....now she runs well. I do want to do the head gaskets. I think I will just stop there and fix my leak.

Now for your jab!!! LOL No offense taken here....last year I only missed 3 weeks of riding here, and that was because of the snow and I torn her down for the carb rebuild. I plan on riding her until I do the job, hopefully February. The only difficulty I have riding in the winter months is I commute from North Jersey, through NYC to Queens. I work until 1am and riding home at night there is the fear of Black Ice. Other than that....I just wear layers and hope I don't get frost bite Big Grin The good thing is I will be riding the wife's Concours 14 when mine is being torn down. Cool
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#5 09-18-2013, 08:01 AM,
Big Grin

I too, commute and if it is not rainignwhen I leave the house,..... then I ride.

My coworkers are so concerned when it geets close to quitting time and it is either raining or threatening rain....

"What are you going to do if it is raining when it is time to go home?"

I look them square in the eye and say in a clear and confident voice.......

"get wet."

I have rain jacket in my desk and I carry my rain pants with me to and from work.

On those hot, summer evenings, I will remove my long sleeved shirt, put my bag, shirt and motorcycle jacket in the trunk and slip on the leather vest (gloves and helmet, of course) and ride home.

Rain is just water. Ride extra careful, extra slow (like others are) and destination "B" can be obtained.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#6 09-18-2013, 12:04 PM,
I ride rain or shine. To me it doesn't matter. Only the Black Ice scares me. I Rode through the Tropical Storm we got back In Late Spring or Early Summer. People always ask me what do I do if it rains. I say the same thing, "I get wet, it's only water. Are you scared to take showers?" Very particular about my tires because of my all weather riding. Right now I am liking the Avon Venom. Has a nice soft feel, very quiet, handles well in turns, and handles well in rain. This is my first one so I am curious as to how many miles I get. If I get 12,000 I will be excited, happy with 10,000. My front I am running a rear Shinko, backwards of course. It had a "heavy" feel to it the first time I did it, but you get used to it quick. It has a very soft compound and handles very well and the price is real good. I balance both front and rear with beads, $1.20 per ounce off Ebay, and my last Shinko 777 on my front I was able to get 17,000 miles, and possibly another 1,000 if I pushed it.

Believe it or not, my wife is the same way, she rides in all weather conditions as well. Her cold limit is 30 degrees though LOL For me, if my wing turns over, I am riding LOL
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#7 09-19-2013, 05:40 AM,
I may go without saying, but....

ride safe!!
#8 09-19-2013, 07:03 AM,
Thank you!

Now back to the topic....

Looks like I will just be doing what needs to be done to fix the rear leak, the head gasket, and the clutch. Not sure if the clutch really needs it but it is seeming to be a bit harder to get into gear, more of the "clunk" than it used to have. So with the clutch that will most likely include a slave cylinder rebuild.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#9 09-19-2013, 08:31 AM,
I am looking at full gasket kits, just to be ready because I am not sure what I will be needing. Should I spend the money on Vesrah? Also does this come with the alternator cover gasket? I don't see it in any pics I can find and a parts list doesn't list it, but does list a "R.R. gasket", what is that?

***update*** Forget it I see it now LOL
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#10 09-21-2013, 06:31 AM,
how's it going?
#11 09-26-2013, 02:32 PM,
I haven't started it yet. The leak isn't too bad enough to worry so I plan to do it as soon as I can take time off from work. I just want to have everything lined up and researched before I start the job. Going through all the scenarios so I have few "surprises". I think I found the leak to be coming from where the stator wires exit the case. I am not 100% sure but thats what it is looking like. I wiped up the whole area best I could and I am looking for the oil residue to track it. I do have another concern that there may be "seepage" from my right valve cover so I may have to attend to this sooner than later. Good thing is that my oil levels are fine, and there is no need to add any. I will update on the job when I get to it. THanks for asking though!!!
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#12 09-27-2013, 05:22 AM,
(09-18-2013, 07:46 AM)bs175dths Wrote: What is it leaking? Engine oil or hydraulic fluid?
How many miles are on the bike?
I am the second owner of an Interstate which is pushing 143,000 miles and according to the service records of the OO, the clutch has never been replaced and (knock on wood) isn’t showing signs of needing replacement.
Other than addressing the fluid leaking, depending on the miles and any performance issues, (since you are back there anyway) a potential list of things may include clutch plates, clutch slave cylinder rebuild and cleaning of the actuating rod, clutch hydraulic hose (going braided instead of rubber), cleaning of dirt and rust from the frame and a good coat of paint.

Other than that, I am in agreement with the ‘leave well-enough alone’ attitude. Big Grin
You don’t want to get into (as one member has stated), if it ain’t broke, I can fix that – syndrome.

In a way (not really Tongue) I am envious of you folks who have the winter to do your projects on your rides.
Where I live, the weather is good 400 days a year and I only have the weekend to get my projects addressed.

The rest of the time, ………..I am riding. (friendly jab!) Angel

I SAID FRIENDLY JAB – DON’T WARM UP THE TAR AND GET THE FEATHERS!!!!
IT’S NOT LIKE A BOUGHT A 1500 AND PAINTED IT YELLOW! GEEEEEEEZ.

Joking aside, these bikes are very durable and require little.
Fix what is broken and do preventative maintenance on the rest if you deem it needs it.
You certainly don’t want to lay the bike up longer than the winter and miss out on WHAT LITTLE RIDING TIME YOU HAVE! (sorry, last one. Honest. Really. NOT)

Let us know how it goes and what you find and what you decide to address.

(and don’t chip a nail while handing your wife the tools, LOL)

KIDDING, JUST KIDDING. NO REALLY, THIS TIME I AM JUST KIDDING. THAT WAS THE LAST ONE.

I wish I had someone interested as your family is.
I am the only one in my family and among my siblings who ENJOYS turning a wrench, the thrill of saving the labor charge, the accomplishment of bringing a machine back to life after others had given up.

Good Luck, have fun and don’t get in too deep!

-Ride On

OK "bs175dths", I know this is an old post, but I never cought on to where you live and how much riding time you have; "YOU S__K!" Tongue Just kidding Angel Must be nice to have 400+ days a year to ride Cool Thanks for all the knowledge you bestow to the members of this sight (when you find time to get off your bike) OK I'm done. Hav'nt harassed anyone lately Big Grin God Bless
Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.
#13 05-03-2014, 01:15 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine removal 1985 Limited James.b55 0 1,155 09-04-2019, 05:20 AM
Last Post: James.b55
  engine removal JerryH 8 3,990 06-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Last Post: bs175dths