Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
New member with question on bike
I'm new to this forum and am looking for a GL1200. I found a 86 SEI model that looks nice.

Is there anything I should be aware of when I inspect the bike? Are there any issues I should know about?

Thank you.

Bill
#1 12-16-2013, 11:36 PM,
Hello Bill, welcome to the forum.

I have a 85 LTD which is almost identical to the SEI as they are both fueil injected.
I learned a couple things to look for after I bought mine.
1. check the bottom of the exhaust pipes right where the pipes go narrow from the wider muffler part,
that's where they rot out first if they are rotting out
2. check the stator plug and the rectifier plugs as well, they are a known problem. mine actually burned up and i had to replace the stator
and the rectifier. I hard wired mine and no more problem.
if you buy it then hard wire those plugs and avoid future problems with that.

those are two things to look for,
I think that these are the best bikes around and even though it took me a while to get mine all working great I have never once regretted buying this beautiful Wing.

we are all here to help you with any problems you might have and there are a number of guys here that are more knowledgeable then I am I know they will be happy to help and I am happy to help any way I can.
Johan
#2 12-17-2013, 12:00 AM,
Thank you Johan for the quick response. I'm new to the bike so where and Ho would I check the stator plug and rectifier plug and what am I looking for?

Thanks!

Bill

That would be "how" and not "Ho". iPad typing sucks.
#3 12-17-2013, 12:03 AM,
(12-17-2013, 12:03 AM)Sactobill Wrote: Thank you Johan for the quick response. I'm new to the bike so where and Ho would I check the stator plug and rectifier plug and what am I looking for?

Thanks!

Bill

That would be "how" and not "Ho". iPad typing sucks.

the stator plug is in behind the left side cover, here are 2 pics, side cover and the other the plug.
(my plug is no longer there as it is hard wired now.)
the plug is located directly in front of the Battery.

Johan
#4 12-17-2013, 12:30 AM,
Thanks Johan!

Bill
#5 12-17-2013, 07:39 AM,
Greetings Bill welcome to the site. I also have an 85 LTD... and like Johan said the 85 LTD & 86 SEI are almost identical. Good strong engines these 1200's not to many bugs in them.A shop manual is important to have available or on USB stick. There's a computer under the trunk with 4 small red LED lights. When there is a problem the lights will flash a code sequence which helps determine the problem, just count the number of flashes on the lights of either number 1,2,3,or 4 light and in the manual that sequence translates to pinpointing the problem when troubleshooting.. it works beleive me,it pinpointed the ignition timing pickup sensor inside the timing belt cover when mine would'nt start. If there's a problem most likely someone on this site has already been there done that.
Good luck with your choice if and when you make it.

Robert
#6 12-17-2013, 01:51 PM,
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Life's uncertain, eat dessert first. :D
#7 12-19-2013, 09:51 PM,
welcome to the forum from mid md/pa area

my first suggestion would be to inspect the electrical system and determine if the stator,regulator and solenoid connector and dogbones have been hardwired

spend some time browsing thru old posts at least in the electrical,wheels and tires,fuel injection and starter sections,there are probably several members close to you in CA that should be able to help or provide assistance,

dont be afraid to ask since the 1st thing here is maintaining our 1200's in rideable condition regardless of their 25+ year age
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#8 12-20-2013, 05:45 AM,