Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
1985 1200 Aspy odometer
In the past I had asked if anyone knew how they worked and got little feedback. I have a parts bike that Im tearing down so I thought I would find out. Once you get the lcd console off the bike you can take it apart. There is a circuit board that controls the speedo readout etc. On one corner of that board is a plug. That plug goes to a tiny motor that runs a screw/shaft that turns the odometer. So the electrical pulse that runs the speedometer is fed to the motor that in turn makes it into a mechanical instrument that turns the ododmeter. If your odometer is not working it might be the little motor, the shaft/screw drive or even the electrical connection. Just thought I would post this in case anyone else wondered how they worked.
Honda 55
Honda Super 90
Honda 160
Honda 305
Bultaco 250
Triumph T120R Bonneville
Honda 85 gl1200 aspy (present ride)
#1 04-10-2014, 04:22 PM,
(04-10-2014, 04:22 PM)mtnsurgtech Wrote: In the past I had asked if anyone knew how they worked and got little feedback. I have a parts bike that Im tearing down so I thought I would find out. Once you get the lcd console off the bike you can take it apart. There is a circuit board that controls the speedo readout etc. On one corner of that board is a plug. That plug goes to a tiny motor that runs a screw/shaft that turns the odometer. So the electrical pulse that runs the speedometer is fed to the motor that in turn makes it into a mechanical instrument that turns the ododmeter. If your odometer is not working it might be the little motor, the shaft/screw drive or even the electrical connection. Just thought I would post this in case anyone else wondered how they worked.

I was curious but couldn't afford to tear apart my 85. Thanks for the info.
#2 04-11-2014, 01:07 PM,