Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Vacuum line availability
A 'wannabe' owner here, gradually reading through all the excellent advice on this site. I've noticed that many of the carb rebuild threads and carb problem questions involve to a greater or lesser extent deterioration of the various vacuum lines.

Are these still available new, either OE or aftermarket?

Thanks
#1 04-24-2014, 04:35 AM,
Personal experience : Replace the old hoses with modern hose from an auto supply store. Modern hoses will resist deterioration better than 1980s formulation hoses. Honda does still offer the hoses, but myself, I went the auto supply route for 1/2 the price.

Ride on.
#2 04-24-2014, 08:15 AM,
I've purchased fuel line for my lawn mower, but have never had to purchase vacuum hoses. Is there any special type of hose to use? Also, I assume that I would just buy a length of hose (5'-6') and just cut individual segments, yes? Should I replace the fuel lines at the same time?

- Pete
#3 05-19-2014, 11:23 AM,
If you are considering replacing the vacuum lines, then the carburetors are separated from the bike.
Now is an EXCELLENT time to replace fuel lines AND fuel filter (non EFI). You have plenty of room to work.

Myself, I replaced those little Mother Honda vacuum line clamps with safety wire for two reasons:
One, the old clamps deformed as I removed them, and B, I had the wire and the tool readily available.

(and besides, the small gauge, twisted wire gives a different look)

btw, I deliberately used One and B...... instead of one and two, or A and B. Anyone catch that?
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#4 05-19-2014, 02:11 PM,
Go to your local auto supply and specify fuel/alcohol resistant hose of the correct sizes. Yes, there are at least 2 different sizes involved.

IMHO, Gas hoses need clamps. Correctly sized vacuum lines do not.
#5 05-19-2014, 02:25 PM,
Southeastern CT must have the worst auto supply stores in the country. I tried to "just go down to the local auto store" (as many posters have suggested on this forum as well as others) and they didn't have any of the hoses I needed....

If you can't find the correct size vacuum hose, is it better to go bigger or smaller? I have been unable to find the 3.5mm vacuum hose that the parts diagram calls out. 3.5 mm is about 9/64, 8.8/64 to be exact. I can't find 9/64, but I can find the next size up (5/32) and the next size down (1/8). The 5/32 seems like a decent fit, while the 1/8 seems too small - like deforming-the-end-of-the-hose too small. I bought the 5/32 since it really seemed like the better fit. Since I am not planning on clamping the vac hoses, is there a risk that the bigger hose will come off?

BTW...I am replacing all of the fuel line. I was also unable to find the 7/32 (5.5 mm) fuel line so I just used 1/4 and that seemed a good fit. The new hose doesn't have the cloth braid over it, but I like the cleaner look of the plain black jacket.
#6 06-01-2014, 10:49 AM,
Smaller vacuum hose means a tighter fit. Bigger may allow a vacuum leak unless you use clamps or safety wire
#7 06-01-2014, 06:34 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vacuum line configuration '84 Aspy 8 3,266 06-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Last Post: admin