Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Starter Spinning
When I hit my starter button all my starter does is spin. If it was a car it's like the starter gear isn't poping out and engaging the flywheel. I'm going to pull the starter and do a refresh. Is there anything else I should look at?
#1 05-16-2014, 04:34 AM,
(05-16-2014, 04:34 AM)marksaunders Wrote: When I hit my starter button all my starter does is spin. If it was a car it's like the starter gear isn't poping out and engaging the flywheel. I'm going to pull the starter and do a refresh. Is there anything else I should look at?

Sounds like the starter rollers are stuck (item 14), if you can get the engine started (bumping) add a can of seafoam to the oil, you may have to remove some of the oil. Run for about 2-300 miles and then do an oil change that usually does the trick.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 05-16-2014, 05:10 AM,
have seen this work on several others mc's,course now it will require someone to help ya push start the mc

a starter refresh might help but sounds more like a starter sprag problem
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 05-16-2014, 09:33 AM,
Starter started working again. I added the Seafoam I'll let you know in 300 miles.
#4 05-17-2014, 02:26 PM,
if the motor is cold, the battery may be too weak to spin the starter fast enough to engage the engine.
if the motor is hot, it may be a weak battery or the starter may need internal cleaning/lubricating.

a work around for a hot motor is to open the throttle wide open, then hit the starter button.

before replacing a battery, make sure it IS the battery and not the charging system.
when replacing a battery, don't cheat by getting lower cold cranking amps! Lower cold cranking amps may work for a short while, but then will cause problems starting. And you KNOW you just replaced the battery, so it can't be that.....
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#5 05-19-2014, 02:27 PM,
I added the Poorboy setup on my bike last year and I bought a new battery last year.
#6 05-19-2014, 06:22 PM,
Changed my oil and all is well. Thanks for the help.
#7 06-04-2014, 05:45 AM,
(06-04-2014, 05:45 AM)marksaunders Wrote: Changed my oil and all is well. Thanks for the help.

The issue may resurface next spring or another inconvenient time.
Remember the wing is 30yrs old and not knowing how they were treated from new to today, a world of sins could be hiding.

Keep an eye on your oil color over a change cycle. That actually can tell you a lot about previous life in that area, especially if the motor has good compression (little blow by from the rings). The Seafoam, ATF or heavy detergents dissolve the varnish and sludge in your engine discoloring the oil, making rings stick and making starter sprags sticky especially with a lower battery voltage (slower spin on the starter)

Others may have additional suggestions...
Andy
Silver 1984 Interstate
GWRRA WAO
#8 06-06-2014, 09:27 PM,
(06-04-2014, 05:45 AM)marksaunders Wrote: Changed my oil and all is well. Thanks for the help.

You can always add a little seafoam prior to your next oil change, wont hurt.

I use a little in the gas on occasion too.

You can always add a little seafoam prior to your next oil change, wont hurt.

I use a little in the gas on occasion too.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#9 06-07-2014, 09:41 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starter Spinning Bodag 5 4,095 07-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Last Post: bs175dths