Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Eek! A mouse!
So I started the Randakk carb re-build and found this evidence of a stow-away (see attached).

Obviously the filter needs replacement. I just got another EMGO filter and not a K&N. However, I noticed that there is an oil treatment to use with the K&N filter. Is there an equivalent oil to use with the EMGO?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

#1 05-31-2014, 08:22 PM,
AFAIK the Emgo is strictly a dry paper filter
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 06-01-2014, 05:08 AM,
From what I understand, the oil use on the K&N filters is predominantly because they are fairly coarse filters. They do NOT have the filtering capabilities within the paper itself that even the OEM filter does, and that's why they are "high flow" (finer filtering ability causes air flow restriction to a degree). The oil is used to get particulates to stick to the filter that might otherwise blast right through the larger openings.

I have also read that, because of the degraded filtering ability of the K&N, negative impact on the motor has been observed.
#3 06-01-2014, 06:40 AM,
I vote with sir tricky; I replaced a old K&N oily filter on my 1200 with a paper Emgo filter and haven't seen any performance degradation. Of course, if you want to ride a rocket, get a Hayabusa.
#4 06-01-2014, 06:39 PM,
I just tracked down a leaking carb. Pulled the carb assembly off today and ordered a Randakk's complete kit.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#5 06-01-2014, 09:36 PM,