Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Hello to the Forum
I would like to say "Hello" to all in the forum. I have owned my 1985 Aspencade for about 3 years now and the stator has finally died. Worst possible timing as the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is less than 2 weeks away. I have been researching different options for the charging system and it looks like I may be going with Don's system (Poorboy). Living in South Dakota gives me plenty of options for riding conditions: from the Black Hills, to the Badlands of South Dakota..to Devil's Tower and eastern Wyoming, Montana and Colorado. Tough having my ride down right now. Look for pics as I get use to using the forum. Any rider would enjoy the area. If you happen to be coming for the rally and I can help please let me know. Thanks to all that contribute to the forum. I have seen some awesome help. Keep the rubber down and the shinny side up. Ride safe and See ya on the Road. TomB Cool
#1 07-27-2014, 08:38 AM,
welcome to the forum from mid md/pa area

go with the poorboy,you'll be glad you did
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 07-27-2014, 07:39 PM,
Thanks Neoracer. The more I read the easier the decision to go with the poorboy is becoming. Cool
#3 07-27-2014, 09:27 PM,
welcome to the forum.

The external alternator is I think one of the better modifications that you can do.....

Still never heard of a belt being replaced.... anyone?
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 07-28-2014, 05:49 AM,
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Life's uncertain, eat dessert first. :D
#5 08-06-2014, 03:01 PM,
(07-27-2014, 08:38 AM)tomb51SD Wrote: I would like to say "Hello" to all in the forum. I have owned my 1985 Aspencade for about 3 years now and the stator has finally died. Worst possible timing as the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is less than 2 weeks away. I have been researching different options for the charging system and it looks like I may be going with Don's system (Poorboy). Living in South Dakota gives me plenty of options for riding conditions: from the Black Hills, to the Badlands of South Dakota..to Devil's Tower and eastern Wyoming, Montana and Colorado. Tough having my ride down right now. Look for pics as I get use to using the forum. Any rider would enjoy the area. If you happen to be coming for the rally and I can help please let me know. Thanks to all that contribute to the forum. I have seen some awesome help. Keep the rubber down and the shinny side up. Ride safe and See ya on the Road. TomB Cool

I just Love the saying, 'Keep the shiny side up.'

I was riding to work one morning and stopped next to a newbie on a Sportster.
Just before he made his right turn, he gave me a thumbs up and said, 'Keep the SUNNY side up.'

Him being on a Sportster and me not on a Sportster, was he 'egging' me on?

It still makes me laugh.

Welcome to the forum!!

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#6 08-07-2014, 10:02 PM,
Thanks to all that offered recommendations on the alternator conversion. I went with Don's kit. Thanks Don for answering my questions when I orderedthe kit. It arrived in (much) less that a week. I have the tank and side plastic off. Getting ready to make that FIRST cut. I am experiencing the same remorse I have read about from others about cutting. But the end result will make it worth the worry.
One thing I have not seen, and it may be immaterial, but what is the torque specs for the crank pully bolt. I just don't want to do something stupid.
I have already started with the pictures..not much difference than others I have seen getting into the heart of the project.
Any recommendations, experiences, suggestions or precautions are greatly appriciated.

BS175...your Harley rider is new..when he grows up he will figure out how he scrambled the saying.
The Sturgis has 1 more day to go. Next year is the 75th anniversary. Make plans now. Expecting 1.2 million to join the party.
Ride safe and See ya on the Road.
TomB Cool
#7 08-09-2014, 07:35 PM,
(08-09-2014, 07:35 PM)tomb51SD Wrote: Thanks to all that offered recommendations on the alternator conversion. I went with Don's kit. Thanks Don for answering my questions when I orderedthe kit. It arrived in (much) less that a week. I have the tank and side plastic off. Getting ready to make that FIRST cut. I am experiencing the same remorse I have read about from others about cutting. But the end result will make it worth the worry.
One thing I have not seen, and it may be immaterial, but what is the torque specs for the crank pully bolt. I just don't want to do something stupid.
I have already started with the pictures..not much difference than others I have seen getting into the heart of the project.
Any recommendations, experiences, suggestions or precautions are greatly appriciated.

BS175...your Harley rider is new..when he grows up he will figure out how he scrambled the saying.
The Sturgis has 1 more day to go. Next year is the 75th anniversary. Make plans now. Expecting 1.2 million to join the party.
TomB Cool
Torque on crankshaft bolt is 75 N-m or 54 ft.-lb. Poorboy
#8 08-09-2014, 08:34 PM,
(08-09-2014, 08:34 PM)Poorboy Wrote:
(08-09-2014, 07:35 PM)tomb51SD Wrote: Thanks to all that offered recommendations on the alternator conversion. I went with Don's kit. Thanks Don for answering my questions when I orderedthe kit. It arrived in (much) less that a week. I have the tank and side plastic off. Getting ready to make that FIRST cut. I am experiencing the same remorse I have read about from others about cutting. But the end result will make it worth the worry.

TomB Cool
Torque on crankshaft bolt is 75 N-m or 54 ft.-lb. Poorboy

Poorboy..Thanks for the specs on the Crank shaft pully bolt.
#9 08-10-2014, 01:07 PM,
Has anyone found a comparable auto timing belt that can be used on 1985 GL1200 Aspy. I saw something about a Tercel timing belt fitting on an 1984. Opinions welcome about using an auto belt vs OEM. Thanks TomB Cool
#10 08-10-2014, 07:49 PM,
(08-10-2014, 07:49 PM)tomb51SD Wrote: Has anyone found a comparable auto timing belt that can be used on 1985 GL1200 Aspy. I saw something about a Tercel timing belt fitting on an 1984. Opinions welcome about using an auto belt vs OEM. Thanks TomB Cool

I have been using timing belts for cars for years. Here on this site is a list of change over parts that will work in place of $$$ mother Honda parts. Look under "Parts Locator" the first one by "Sir Tricky". All 1200s use the same timing belts. Poorboy
#11 08-10-2014, 08:27 PM,
Just an update...I have removed all the parts including the timing covers. Everything is coming smoothly so far. I had to improvise to get the crank bolt loose. Blocked the rear wheel while it was in gear and managed to get the bolt out. Made the hole for the crank pully in the timing cover. Looks like there is enough clearance on the pully to get beyond the covers without shimming.
Now if I can just remember how things go back on I will be okay. I can only work on it for short periods..so it may be some time between updates.
All the information leading up to this has been a great help.
Ride safe...See ya on the road TomB Cool
#12 08-14-2014, 05:09 PM,
the Gate T070 is a regular automotive timing belt and has been used by most people for quite awhile,the napa equivalent or goodyear is just as good,probably other brands are good too as long as they are a direct crossover
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#13 08-14-2014, 06:10 PM,
from experience..... when you have the pulley and the bolt your going to use, make sure the pulley spins on the bolt, I had one that was a little tight and prevented the bolt from being torqued correctly, eventually the pulley worked lose and screwed up the drive gears before I realized what the problem was.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#14 08-14-2014, 06:23 PM,
Well Hey there everyone...it's been awhile since I started the Poorboy conversion project on my 1985 Aspy. I was able to get all the conversion parts on and get it started. I was happy to see 14.6 volts on the battery connection. While it was running I noticed the side marker lights went out when I flipped a switch for my driving lights. So I went back and looked at all the connections, including splices where I took out excessive wire off of the driving lights. I checked the marker lights sockets and it looked like they may have been hot, and they had been pushed into the "box", not in the frame mounts. I even took the radiator off to check the fan plug. Still having a short somewhere. It is blowing the 4th fuse from the top (10 amp) as soon as the key is turned on. The listing says it is the Meter/Taillight fuse. The rear lights are not coming on.
Electrical is not one of my strong suits. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions on trying to track this short.
Thanks in advance for the help
Ride Safe and See ya on the Road Cool
#15 09-03-2014, 04:45 PM,