Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
HELP! SNAPPED FRONT AXLE RETAINING STUD!!
(04-21-2015, 12:39 PM)wallbrad Wrote: Thanks, SirTricky. I had also found that part number on-line, but it appears that the stud is now a discontinued part. I'm going to have to improvise. It's an M10 thread, and the 52 (in the 10X52) callout is it's length. If push comes to shove, I should be able to find a bolt that is either 60mm long which can be shortened, or, probably better, use a 10X50 bolt (or stud) that is slightly shorter. In either case, I'll stick with stainless so as not to cause too much dissimilar metals problems with the aluminum fork casting. The only problem with shorter is that I need to get the same length of engagement inside the fork as the current stud provides so as not to overstress the aluminum fork. I need to think about the torque though, as one has to be careful in tightening a bolt head vs tightening a nut (which is always preferable). 18 ft-lbs isn't very much torque, so I should be safe using the same amount. In any case, I'll apply some torque-seal paint so that I can have a visual check for any loosening in case 18 ft-lbs isn't enough,

Looks like any of us that break one of these studs will be in the same boat!
-Brad

Most stainless bolts are not as strong as just plain steel. A grade 8 steel stud or bolt would be a better choice. Poorboy
#5 04-21-2015, 02:12 PM,

Messages In This Thread
RE: HELP! SNAPPED FRONT AXLE RETAINING STUD!! - by Poorboy - 04-21-2015, 02:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to take the retaining ring out of the rear shock 1 1,437 09-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Guest