Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SE-i /LTD Air Valve
Been looking on the forum for information on the Air valve for the SE-I- or the LTD models, the valve that has the 2 coolant lines that is mounted on right side top towards the rear of the engine, what does it actually do, and how does it affect the engine performance,, according to sei manual supplement when testing the OHMS it should read 65-100 ohms, mine reads 105, there does not seem to be a lot of information on it other than that. Thanks for any help. Been trying to get the bike dialed in so I can start riding it, I am just not real happy with the performance at idle when it gets warmed up, cold start nice and smooth at higher rpms like it should., when warming it starts to drop down on the rpms like it should, when fully warmed at idle I think it should be smoother. I already did the cleaning of the injector system according to the manual, new plugs checked the wires and sync the banks, this bike sat for a few years, I have Lucas injector cleaner in the fuel right now, it has gotten better since that, kinda leaning towards dirty fuel system still myself, since it has improved, I still want to know about the AIR VALVE setup.
#1 08-24-2016, 09:19 AM,
The air valve is also known by secondary air or auxiliary air regulator. When the engine is cold, the control unit richens the mixture. But just more fuel doesn't make the engine have a higher idle. You need air as well. That's the function of the air valve. To give more air when engine is cold to achieve higher rpm (warm up, choke, however you care to look at it) to go along with the extra fuel. As the control unit sees the engine temperature approach normal, it reduces the duration of the injectors (less fuel) and the air valve reduces the amount of air by-passing, so the rpm's drop to a normal level and stabilize. It sounds as if your air valve is working properly for fast idle (somewhere around 1500rpm I'm guessing?). Since it's an idle concern, you need to also check the Throttle position sensor value (around POINT five volts with closed throttle). It's possible the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm is leaking causing fuel to be pulled into the manifold. It's also possible the air valve doesn't close properly, allowing too much air at idle causing a lean condition. You need to find out if it's too lean, or too rich. And as you've said, it may still just be dirty injectors.
#2 08-24-2016, 12:01 PM,
(08-24-2016, 12:01 PM)glhonda Wrote: The air valve is also known by secondary air or auxiliary air regulator. When the engine is cold, the control unit richens the mixture. But just more fuel doesn't make the engine have a higher idle. You need air as well. That's the function of the air valve. To give more air when engine is cold to achieve higher rpm (warm up, choke, however you care to look at it) to go along with the extra fuel. As the control unit sees the engine temperature approach normal, it reduces the duration of the injectors (less fuel) and the air valve reduces the amount of air by-passing, so the rpm's drop to a normal level and stabilize. It sounds as if your air valve is working properly for fast idle (somewhere around 1500rpm I'm guessing?). Since it's an idle concern, you need to also check the Throttle position sensor value (around POINT five volts with closed throttle). It's possible the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm is leaking causing fuel to be pulled into the manifold. It's also possible the air valve doesn't close properly, allowing too much air at idle causing a lean condition. You need to find out if it's too lean, or too rich. And as you've said, it may still just be dirty injectors.
Yes correct on the cold idle, when warm, idles at decent rpm my tach always shows half, so it shows about 540 on gauge which actually sounds like 1000 + there abouts, idling warm you can hear a stumble, I know the ohm reading on the valve is 105.5 ohms which is off from what the manual says it should be, just don't know how much it factors in with being off. Thanks for the lesson on air valves
#3 08-24-2016, 01:57 PM,