Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gaping hole
Hi All

New to the forum...and thank you for the resource.

Just bought a 1987 Interstate with 30,000 miles. Mechanically, it appears to be in very good condition. The previous owner, however, apparently liked cutting into the plastic fairing. I can fix most of the hack jobs but not sure what to do with the gaping where a radio/cb resided.

He installed a "Concept" radio (never heard of them) by enlarging the hole in the fairing. He then 'glued' the surround of the radio onto the top of the fairing. When I pulled the radio, I didn't notice the hack job and ordered an OEM cover. It arrived in the mail today and...bummer, not even a close fit.

It looks like that center portion of the fairing that houses the radio, speedo and tach is a separate piece. But I have no faith that I'll find it on eBay (since I've been looking for a handlebar cover too).

Outside of finding and purchasing that part of the fairing, any suggestions on how to fix the gaping hole?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

#1 11-09-2017, 10:01 AM,
When fixing the plastic parts you can find black ABS cement at Home Depot in the US
but might be easier buying this
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1984-1986-HONDA-...ca&vxp=mtr
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 11-09-2017, 09:06 PM,
(11-09-2017, 10:01 AM)BadMonk Wrote: Outside of finding and purchasing that part of the fairing, any suggestions on how to fix the gaping hole?

Sorry this is a bit tardy but hopefully it will help you out.

As long as you can overcome the glue job to the top of the fairing, I recently bought the part you need on eBay for under $30 delivered. All you have to do to replace is remove the speakers and the lower windshield bezel to loosen up the bottom of the windshield. The upper and lower screws that secure the side of the speakers toward the center also hold this section of the dash in. Took me about 20 minutes to install. I did look on eBay for a couple months before I found one I was willing to pay their price for - usually they run $40 and up with the mounting ears broken but the one I found is in great shape.

Other than that not much to do that will look half decent.

Check links to two that are on eBay as I post this, both look like mounting tabs are intact.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE TOO

Hope this helps.

Dave / Believer45
1985 GL1200I bought in 2012. Russell Day Long seat, PoorBoy alternator, Markland boards, radio deleted, USB ports and voltmeter added, multiple other bits to make it mine.
#3 12-30-2017, 10:11 PM,