Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proud new owner of an ’85 GL1200 LTD
Hello everyone. As you can tell from my user name, my name is Ron. I have never owned or operated a bike before but just recently convinced my wife to allow me to buy one. I looked at a lot of bikes but was won over by the Honda Goldwing. I found a 1985 Goldwing GL1200 LTD for sale just a couple of miles from where I live in Burnaby, BC Canada.

It had been sitting for a number of years and would not start but it had only 30,000 or so km's on it and, according to the seller, had been running and was in good condition when he parked it several years ago. It had been stored indoors and cosmetically was in a very nice condition. I decided that it would be a fun project to work on (despite having no experience with working on motorcycles) and purchased it for $600 CDN.

My intention is to strip it down and turn it into a naked Goldwing as I will only be riding it locally and will not need all of the bags attached to it. I have heard on other forums that it is not a good idea, and apparently not possible, to turn a standard '85 GL1200 LTD into a naked version.

I am a member or another Forum where another member has the same bike as me and is in the process of converting it into a naked bike. Unlike him, who has received no warnings about doing so, it has been suggested by a couple of members on another site that I should not do it. What do any of you think?

All I would do is remove the bags, the fairing and replace the seat. I have decided not to remove the false tank/shelter. Instead, I would use fiberglass to fill in the holes where it would have attached to the fairing.

If it is possible to turn it into a naked GL1200 LTD, then I suspect that I will have a lot of questions as I begin tearing it down. I look forward to learning as much as possible from all of you. I can't wait to get it running and to take a ride on such a beautiful bike. All the best, Ron.
#1 02-02-2018, 02:27 AM,
all I can say... sacrilege.

I have heard of Interstate being turned naked, but LTD.....
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 02-05-2018, 01:16 PM,
Welcome to the Site Ron!! There are several reasons to not attempt to convert your bike into a Standard or " Naked 1200" but I'm only gonna mention 2 or 3...

The '85 Ltd Ed was indeed a Limited Edition run as there were only a bit over 5000 of these bikes made and it is very unique in that only this and the '86 Aspy SEi had fuel injection and not 4 carburetors like the Interstate and Aspencade models in all 4 years of the GL1200's production run.

A very good reason right there not to convert her...

Next is the problems you'll have with the conversion as you'll need a headlight from a GL1200 Standard for it along with other stuff.. And also just where are you gonna put the CFI Computer?? It's presently located under the trunk and if that goes you not only have to find a new home for it on the bike but you also have to do some SERIOUS wiring so it can reach it's new mount on the bike!!

And the best reason I can think of off hand??? Judging by your Avatar pic,, That's a REALLY good looking Bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just get her running and She'll do the rest!!!
1985 Limited Edition
#3 05-15-2018, 07:02 PM,
hi all, I was trying to post about a problem I'm having with finding a fuel pump for my 85 GL 1200 LTD.
I need one and I have not been able to find one. please haaaaaalp
#4 05-21-2018, 12:19 PM,
I vaguely remember someone mentioning a Honda Accord fuel pump but you will need to do some searching have you tried this forum http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/ or this one http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/index.php

#5 05-22-2018, 05:42 AM,
Sir, I've been looking for the post for two days and cannot find it. keyword search and all.
How do I post a new thread?
#6 05-24-2018, 01:07 PM,
Possibly 86 Prelude pump by Carter #P70199.

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic....mp#p258065

What makes you think you have a pump problem?

#7 05-25-2018, 06:41 AM,
any more help on this please?
#8 05-29-2018, 11:31 AM,
If your asking for more help on stripping down the LTD I think you will be out of luck

#9 05-29-2018, 07:12 PM,
Congrats! I LOVE my 85 Limited and hope you do too.
Does anyone have a decent aftermarket seat like a Saddleman, Corbin or any comfy seat a fat man can sit on?
Thanks much!
#10 08-31-2018, 07:43 AM,
(05-29-2018, 11:31 AM)JonnyBear Wrote: any more help on this please?

If you can figure it out PLEASE let me know!
#11 08-31-2018, 07:45 AM,
(05-24-2018, 01:07 PM)JonnyBear Wrote: Sir, I've been looking for the post for two days and cannot find it. keyword search and all.

Did you find one yet? I found several for well under $100....
#12 08-31-2018, 07:46 AM,
(05-24-2018, 01:07 PM)JonnyBear Wrote: Sir, I've been looking for the post for two days and cannot find it. keyword search and all.

On the top of the forum is a Help button... To learn to post look there

http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/mi...ction=help
#13 09-01-2018, 01:43 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm proud to live in Mississippi! 6 1,342 03-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Last Post: Guest