Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howdy New GL1200 owner
Hi everyone....a funny thing happened to me last week....
Back story...since I was a kid in High School my next door neighbor had a Goldwing (GL1000) and I always wanted one but never got one....fast forward many decades later...at a Garage Sale...a 1984
GL1200 (standard model) was being "sold" (no money...needed to buy...just haul it away on a trailer)...and I thought...that would be a cool project bike....

And so...I became a Goldwing Owner for the very first time.

Bike Sitrep
The bike has been sitting forever outside....
The Gas has been turned into Gum

Mileage on the Odometer is 22K

Plugs looked almost new....
I found an OEM Service Manual for the bike on Ebay

So far I managed to get the handrail off and the seat off...and I washed the thing
Battery won't hold a charge...

However when hooked up to the battery recharger the engine turns over but won't fire up (guessing no gas can get to the engine) (I pumped out remaining old gas and put new gas in...but it was a no go)

Throttle Cable and Choke Cables are frozen
Front Brake Master Cylinder is blown

I figure I will have to remove the Gas Tank and clean it out
Clean out the Carbs, Fuel Pump, put in a new fuel line, new air filter, get the cables unfrozen, and a new battery before attempting to fire it up again.

Any URLS to parts and Info would be appreciated....

Cheers!
#1 02-15-2022, 10:22 AM,
(02-15-2022, 10:22 AM)The_Lost_Garage Wrote: Hi everyone....a funny thing happened to me last week....
Back story...since I was a kid in High School my next door neighbor had a Goldwing (GL1000) and I always wanted one but never got one....fast forward many decades later...at a Garage Sale...a 1984
GL1200 (standard model) was being "sold" (no money...needed to buy...just haul it away on a trailer)...and I thought...that would be a cool project bike....

Congratulations with your new project bike.
I am afraid I can't help you much with addresses for parts because I live in the Netherlands and you are looking for parts in the US.
Maybe you can get more information via the GWRRA (http://gwrra.org/) or another GoldWing organisation.
------------------------------
Jan Krijtenburg, a Dutch Winger
My bikes: Honda GL1200 Interstate and a BMW R1200GS
My personal Homepage: http://www.krijtenburg.nl
Motormobilist website: http://motormobilist.nl/
#2 02-19-2022, 09:28 AM,
(02-15-2022, 10:22 AM)The_Lost_Garage Wrote: Hi everyone....a funny thing happened to me last week....

Bike Sitrep
The bike has been sitting forever outside....
The Gas has been turned into Gum

Mileage on the Odometer is 22K

Plugs looked almost new....
I found an OEM Service Manual for the bike on Ebay

So far I managed to get the handrail off and the seat off...and I washed the thing
Battery won't hold a charge...

However when hooked up to the battery recharger the engine turns over but won't fire up (guessing no gas can get to the engine) (I pumped out remaining old gas and put new gas in...but it was a no go)

Throttle Cable and Choke Cables are frozen
Front Brake Master Cylinder is blown

I figure I will have to remove the Gas Tank and clean it out
Clean out the Carbs, Fuel Pump, put in a new fuel line, new air filter, get the cables unfrozen, and a new battery before attempting to fire it up again.

Any URLS to parts and Info would be appreciated....

Cheers!

Check eBay, they have all the parts in the world.
#3 05-02-2022, 08:01 AM,
Did you realize they make a manifold with a single carburetor you can use to do away with the 4 gummed up carbs? Just an FYI.....
#4 05-02-2022, 08:04 AM,