Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Intercom question
Hi all,
I just bought an -84 Aspencade. It has the Panasonic tape deck/radio, but no intercom or CB. I don't care about the CB but would like to have an intercom. Not being too familiar with these gadgets, I don't know if it's a single unit or if one can have the intercom without the CB? Basically trying to figure out all the parts I would need to make this happen. Can't spend a fortune on this, but I'm not too crazy about the idea of having an after market intercom hanging on my belt.
Thanks,
John
#1 09-24-2007, 07:33 PM,
The intercom bits should be there, Motorhead, if it's an Aspencade. The rider hook-up should be on the left side just above and to the right of the left hand pocket. The passenger hook-up might be hidden under the rear left hand side of the seat which is where I found mine.
#2 09-24-2007, 08:28 PM,
I'll look again in the morning. I don't think I have it, though, because I don't have any intercom controls. Shouldn't they be on the left where the cb normally resides?
So you're saying I don't need the cb to have a working intercom system? Is that what you have on your bike, just the intercom?
Thanks,
John
#3 09-24-2007, 10:16 PM,
I believe the radio on your bike might be a little different than mine but here's my set-up!

Look on the left side of the radio. The first knob is the on/off volume. The second knob (going to the right) is the mute. The third knob is for the intercom. Push it once and the radio goes from the external speakers to the ones in your helmet. Push it again and it returns to the external speakers. Also that's the volume control for the intercom.

Hope this helps!!
1985 Limited Edition
#4 09-24-2007, 10:42 PM,
Well I'll be! There it is, as big as day! The suspension was killing me so I went out and checked the radio. Says right there "int. com"! Who knew???
The guy I bought it from said the bike didn't have one, so I took his word for it!
I think I know where the rider hook-up 'used' to live - right where the previous owner installed an aux light switch... Now, I don't have any head sets, so I have to get them first, but I'll pull the seat off tomorrow and try to find the passenger plug-in.
This is exiting! My first intercom! I've never even had a winshield on a bike before, I'm starting to get spoiled with all these "luxuries" Big Grin
Will investigate further in the morning.
Thanks a lot for your help!
#5 09-24-2007, 11:05 PM,
The passenger plug-in is located on the left side of the trunk near the bottom. You can't find it without leaning over or feeling for it, but it should be there.

I'm glad to have helped you!!!!!! 8)
1985 Limited Edition
#6 09-24-2007, 11:49 PM,
The radio is set up for an intercom but the actual intercom is an option that may not be on the bike.

Check this forum for schematics on the radio options
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#7 09-25-2007, 05:34 AM,
Well I don't see any kind of hook-ups for the rider nor the passenger. I guess it's not there after all...
If I had an intercom, wouldn't I have the control panel on the left fairing? If I was to try and piece this together from e-bay, what components do I need? I've seen the intercom control panels for sale there, as well as a junction box. Are these something that I need?
Sorry about all the questions, but being a little electrically challenged, I need a lot of help on this... Oh, and where do I find the schematics on the radio options? (Just getting familiar with this great forum)

Big thanks again to everyone for your help!

John
#8 09-25-2007, 10:43 AM,
You have the radio, auto vol control and power amp and speakers as standard on the Aspencade.

you will need headsets, and the terminal component,( you dont need the headset junction box as I think you would be able to plug the 5 pin DIN from the radio into the 5 pin DIN with the gray tape.) edited may 2011 Upon later examination the junction box is required as the connection from the radio is a male connection and the connection to the component is also a male

Don't need passenger controller.

If you want the CB then you would need that AND the main cable to the CB, some shady EBAY sellers don't sell the two together, also the handlebar PTT and passenger PTT buttons

and an antenna splitter or left hand antenna mount and antenna

The intercom is voice activated so that the radio volume decreases when the intercom is used, this also can be adjusted by the centre control on the radio, the knob with the flat sides.
Wind noise can also cut the radio out so it is a question of trial and error to get the correct setting.

[Image: accesories.jpg]

#9 09-25-2007, 12:12 PM,
Thanks for the info! Just what I needed!
John
#10 09-25-2007, 01:10 PM,
tricky I am so impressed how you have all this data and diagrams so handy :!: Big Grin
Tim
currenlty own
Car, truck, and bicycle :)
formerly owned
86 SEI,83GL 650i,82GL 500i
450 nighthawk, german spec CB 650, KZ 100, YZ 125, CT90
http://catman01.webs.com/
#11 09-25-2007, 04:30 PM,
Thats why they call me tricky Smile

#12 09-25-2007, 04:52 PM,
Has anyone here tried this set-up from Sierra Electronics? Are they worth a try?

IMC-MIT30-INTERCOM

Just looking into other options if I can't find the parts I need to get the OEM set-up to work.

Thanks,
John
#13 09-26-2007, 11:03 AM,
Motorhead, I bought two sets of headsets/intercom direct from IMC last spring and we have been very pleased with them. Quality and price are good plus they make a system especially for older Goldwings. Check them out at <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.imc-electronics.com">http://www.imc-electronics.com</a><!-- w -->
#14 09-26-2007, 11:40 AM,
Thanks Ian, which model did you get? Can you plug it into the GW Panasonic radio or does it stay completely separate? No big deal, I'll probably mostly listen to my iPod anyway. Would be nice to have that option though, if only to check the traffic conditions.
Thanks,
John
#15 09-26-2007, 05:18 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet intercom question. 6 2,069 05-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  Intercom question Azwngr 3 1,207 08-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Azwngr