Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
All,

I've tried about five times to upload an avatar to my profile, and it won't load.

The file is a JPG file and is within the pixel and file size limits.

I've tried loading it directly from my hard drive. That gives several error messages about unable to load image file, etc. Tried it both from my work computer and my home computer.

I've tried loading it from a URL. I uploaded it to my web site and typed the URL path to it into the proper field. That doesn't work either.

HELP! What am I doing wrong? :?
'87 GL1200A - Black/Grey
'06 GL1800 - Arctic White
'81 CB750C - Blue/Blue
U.S. Navy SWO (1967 to 1976)
#1 11-29-2007, 06:19 AM,
Use a hosting website like photobucket and select the direct link and paste that into your profile
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 11-29-2007, 07:52 AM,
Tricky,

Thanks much for the instructions!

I have my own web site so I uploaded the picture to my site and cut and pasted the URL to the picture directly into the proper avatar field in my profile as you suggested.

That should be the exact same procedure as if the picture were posted on any other web site, so I'm not quite sure why it doesn't work. When I do that, all I get is a box with a red X in it where the picture should be. (For now, I've removed that since it looks stupid in my posts.)

I'm not exactly a web publishing newbie, but color me clueless still...

Bob
'87 GL1200A - Black/Grey
'81 CB750C - Blue/Blue
#3 11-29-2007, 01:43 PM,
I think that I have just proven that it works just fine if you link it to an off site avatar. Just do the same with your bike after you take my bike out.

Use Photobucket or Image Cave and copy the <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://...............">http://...............</a><!-- m -->. link then paste it into the offsite avatar slot.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#4 11-29-2007, 02:08 PM,
Thanks Vic!

I used the "link to" option this time and it works just fine.

FYI, neither the "upload from your computer" option nor the "upload from another URL" option seems to work. Tried both of those first and the first option gives error messages while the second option doesn't error but doesn't work either.

Not sure why that should happen, but no big deal. The "link to" option did the trick.

Looks like I need to increase the ppi settings on mine to try to get it to view just a bit bigger without exceeding the pixel and file size limits. Kind of hard to see mine set at 96 ppi.

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas now! My bike isn't scheduled to arrive until the second week of December and I can't wait.

Thanks again Vic and Tricky!

Bob
'87 GL1200A - Black/Grey
'81 CB750C - Blue/Blue
#5 11-29-2007, 05:23 PM,
I don't quite understand why those 2 features don't work either but the off site link works just fine. I'm glad you got yours working and it looks great.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#6 11-29-2007, 08:45 PM,