Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
HELP TRICKY!!! or anyone else!
1986 GL1200A - replacing the power amplifier - I cannot figure out how to get the darn thing out!! Actually, I would like to take everything out of the left pocket, clean it, grease it and re-install with a new power amplifier. I cannot find documentation that tells me how to do it and I don't want to just go tearing everything out. Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Cheers,
Ric
#1 01-11-2008, 03:32 PM,
It looks like the best way would be to pull the seat and then take the fake fuel tank off and you should be able to get at the little beastie!! While you're there, take a look at the connector at the regulator. If the three yellow wires (or any of the others) look burnt or corroded, now's the time to cut and solder them. You've already taken care of the one at the stator.

Right??!

Good luck with her!!
1985 Limited Edition
#2 01-11-2008, 10:50 PM,
ricwilli46 Wrote:1986 GL1200A - replacing the power amplifier - I cannot figure out how to get the darn thing out!! Actually, I would like to take everything out of the left pocket, clean it, grease it and re-install with a new power amplifier. I cannot find documentation that tells me how to do it and I don't want to just go tearing everything out. Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Cheers,
Ric

You can see here! the diagram of the radio and amplifier.

Remove the left pocket and identify any wiring you take apart (the ID) colors may have come off. then there are two nuts on the inner steering well of the fairing, remove them and the amplifier will come out. Presumably the grease your refering to is the dielctric grease for the wiring contacts.
Depending on what accessories are on the bike you may also have the terminal component which is further to the front, a little harder to get at the nuts at least getting them back on.

[Image: radioaccess.jpg]
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 01-12-2008, 08:19 AM,
Thanks again Tricky! Well, so far I have removed the seat, false tank and power amplifier. I put in a new (used) power amplifier and new speakers and still everything lights up, the channels change bit no sound! The CB makes a noise when I turn it on but nothing on the speakers. I spent the best part of today trying to find a signal injector so I can troubleshoot by the info you gave me...no one has the darn thing! I found some kits to make one but I am electrically challenged. I found an old one on ebay that I bid on but it doesn't close until Monday! I got everything else as to the tools needed to troubleshoot. I am guessing that if the power amplifier is good then it must either be the AVC, component terminal or if all else fails the radio (the guy I bought it from swore that it worked!). Of course while I have it apart I am hitting all connections with contact cleaner and putting in di-electric grease.
#4 01-12-2008, 07:37 PM,
My CB use to go out every spring, it would jump alive if someone very close transmitted on the same channel that I was on.
I figured it was a poor contact and I pulled apart every connection in there including the main CB plug tightened all the connections and I don't have the problem any more.

You can isolate the avc by taking the output from the radio and plugging it directly into the amplifier thereby bypassing the avc.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 01-12-2008, 08:17 PM,
Good call!! I bypassed the AVC and got music!! Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,
Ric
#6 01-15-2008, 06:20 PM,