Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Seafoam Carb & Fuel System Cleaner
This is some information I found on Randakk's carb site.......I have used Seafoam several times over the years in my boat and my GoldWing......

Quote:My name is Matt Hanson and I work for the Sea Foam Company. I have just finished reading through the "More on Fuel and Fuel Additives" section on your website and I was impressed by your understanding of the problems we face with fuel and fuel additives today. Even your comments about over treating a fuel system with cleaning chemicals is right on the money because nearly all of them (other than Sea Foam) contain some kind of caustic chemical from methanol to MEK and xylenes and many other rubber and plastic eating compounds.

Sea Foam is actually one of the only additives on the market that does not have this problem. 100% of the contents of a Sea Foam can are pure petroleum. They are extremely high quality oils that are far less corrosive than gasoline and have absolutely no effect on rubbers, plastics, silicones or any other delicate material. You can test this by pouring some Sea Foam into a styrofoam cup. It will not damage the styrofoam no matter how long it sits in the cup. You can go a step further and place some rubber parts into the cup to soak in the Sea Foam - the more delicate the better. Sea Foam will cause no damage and will not even swell the material.

Sea Foam was originally developed for use in outboard motors in the 1930's and was safe for every cork gasket and rubber diaphragm that chemical additives would have destroyed. The formula has not changed since the 1930's and Sea Foam remains the safest additive on the market.

Sea Foam is the only product on the market that is 100% safe to use in every tank at any concentration and it will actually address many of the fuel related problems you identify. For more information on Sea Foam products see our web site at: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.seafoamsales.com">http://www.seafoamsales.com</a><!-- w --> or feel free to contact our technical service department at (952) 938-4811 Thank you very much."

-Matthew Hanson
1984 GL1200 Aspencade - Original Owner (SOLD Jan. 14, 2012) .......
Two tone Metallic Beige
Hondaline stereo and CB radio
Markland Electronic Cruise Control

GL1800 - Original Owner
Caliente Metallic Red
Comfort & Premium Audio Package with CB Radio
#1 02-02-2008, 07:18 AM,
i knew using additives are not safe for the rubber parts of the carbs, and no additive would fix up old carbs. because no additive will not restore old rubber parts. in fact, if you abuse of them you can actually get those oldie carbs worse.

I have been told here and even other motorcycle forums to use SEA FOAM.
i havent found a dealer selling it so far =(

thanks for the info,
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#2 02-02-2008, 10:05 AM,
Hmmm. I'll have to try the styrofoam cup test. I've allways heard not to use too much as it's detremental to the plastic and rubber components of the fuel system.
1985 Limited Edition
#3 02-02-2008, 10:31 AM,
I use gasoline in my carbs to keep them clean. I've used it for years and it's never given me any problems if I use a good gas filter. I find gasoline to be the very best carb cleaner.

The only time I have ever seen a need for anything other than gasoline in a carburetor is back when I used to run 2 stroke engines and they used to get slimey after sitting for long periods.

Just because you're told that it won't hurt your bike to use the stuff it doesn't mean you need it. Many guys say to use premium gas but you don't need it. It's all a sales pitch to get you to spend your money and make you think that a product will make your bike run better but you don't need it. But if you want it that's up to you.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#4 02-02-2008, 10:45 AM,
William_86 Wrote:i knew using additives are not safe for the rubber parts of the carbs, and no additive would fix up old carbs. because no additive will not restore old rubber parts. in fact, if you abuse of them you can actually get those oldie carbs worse.

I have been told here and even other motorcycle forums to use SEA FOAM.
i havent found a dealer selling it so far =(

thanks for the info,

Here in Texas, I find it at my local auto parts store, O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, and Advance Auto Parts.
1984 GL1200 Aspencade - Original Owner (SOLD Jan. 14, 2012) .......
Two tone Metallic Beige
Hondaline stereo and CB radio
Markland Electronic Cruise Control

GL1800 - Original Owner
Caliente Metallic Red
Comfort & Premium Audio Package with CB Radio
#5 02-03-2008, 07:43 AM,
Rly :O i have a friend going to Mcallen next week, how much its a bottle of those?.. might ask him to buy some for me :o
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#6 02-03-2008, 02:44 PM,
I am buying Seafoam at WalMart
Tim
currenlty own
Car, truck, and bicycle :)
formerly owned
86 SEI,83GL 650i,82GL 500i
450 nighthawk, german spec CB 650, KZ 100, YZ 125, CT90
http://catman01.webs.com/
#7 02-03-2008, 04:48 PM,