Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Member From Portland Or
Hi to all you Goldwing people, been poking around the site for a few days. Pretty cool. Info I can add to the site is Electric Shift, moving brake pedal to forward boards and been through the front end wobble stuff. I read about a couple of people having front end trouble and now I cant find the posts. But Honda has a upgrade from the round bearings to a tapered bearing for the steering stem. It solves all the problems. You dont have contact on part of a ball bearing you have a long surface of tapered bearings that aren't as fussy about torque. My wing will ride hands free at any speed solid as a rock. (not that I do that). 8)
#1 03-19-2008, 05:54 PM,
A hearty welcome to the site, Lance.
#2 03-19-2008, 07:03 PM,
Lance Wrote:Hi to all you Goldwing people, been poking around the site for a few days. Pretty cool. Info I can add to the site is Electric Shift, moving brake pedal to forward boards and been through the front end wobble stuff. I read about a couple of people having front end trouble and now I cant find the posts. But Honda has a upgrade from the round bearings to a tapered bearing for the steering stem. It solves all the problems. You dont have contact on part of a ball bearing you have a long surface of tapered bearings that aren't as fussy about torque. My wing will ride hands free at any speed solid as a rock. (not that I do that). 8)

Not sure about your wing, but this picture is from the genuine Honda manual for the 84 and 85 models which shows a tapered bearing as stock. And when I replaced my headbearing they were tapered, are you sure your not talking about the 1500 or 1800 models, I did hear about people talking about changing them.

[Image: headbearing.jpg]
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 03-19-2008, 07:37 PM,
The earlier models did have ball bearings. Tapered bearing replacemens were all the rage. I've never seen ball bearings on the 1200's though. Welcome aboard, Portland!
#4 03-19-2008, 08:53 PM,
Whoops, your right I put tapered on my 84 I was thinking it was a upgrade but I think I replaced the same thing. Confused with something I read or another bike. I've had too many. So them damn 1100's had balls?
#5 03-20-2008, 05:50 AM,
Lance Wrote:So them damn 1100's had balls?

No, the 1200's have balls. The 1100's were kinda slow Big Grin
#6 03-20-2008, 06:58 AM,
glhonda Wrote:
Lance Wrote:So them damn 1100's had balls?

No, the 1200's have balls. The 1100's were kinda slow Big Grin

GL, that's funny (true, but funny!) Confusedhock:

Welcome Lance!
#7 03-24-2008, 07:06 PM,
Angela, I sent you a e-mail on electric shift. For anyone else interested go to <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.pingelonline.com">http://www.pingelonline.com</a><!-- w --> they have video on how it works under electric easy shift. For 1200's you have to get the universal kit and do a little fabricating. Its great if you use forward boards and are too old and tired to keep changing riding positions moving your feet from hiway boards or pegs to under you and back and forth, that gets old. Or maybe its me? Electric shift and moving the brake pedal forward to the hiway pegs or boards its more comfortable than a Harley.
#8 03-24-2008, 11:39 PM,
Hello and welcome Lance. That shifter looks like a nice setup. I watched the video and it seems to do the job real well. How does yours work in practise?
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#9 03-29-2008, 06:50 AM,
Hi Vic, Love the oil filter adapter had it in two days...The shifter works awsome, it is very difficult to set up initialy as you have to lengthen the shifting arm by 2" and there is very little room down there on a 1200 to start with. So it takes some patience, and bending the universal mount arm and drilling it properly to mount on engine mount. But it is worth it. It comes with a coil kill that you have to fiqure out also. It has a solid state module that is adjustable for coil kill time. Mine is set up and works great, but I have found that (I guess) my age or something I just use the clucth and with the buttons right next to the handgrip. I just pull in the clucth and touch a button with my thumb..After you get use to it, its great. So I just use forward boards and moved my brake pedal forward. I leave the stock pegs on so if you want to at a light you can still move your foot back and put it in neutral..You also can still shift manually if needed. 8) 8) 8) I plan on posting pics soon as I take some...
#10 03-30-2008, 04:40 PM,
Welcome Lance!
Judging by your past rides, Im gonna assume that after your Wing experiance you'll be sticking with us! :lol:

We all believe that the Goldwing is the finest touring bike ever made Big Grin

Looking forward to hearing more from you and seeing pictures of your baby................
Harry Waggoner
GL1200A "Animal"

GWRRA VA-B
More ROCKIN and less Talkin!
#11 03-30-2008, 05:11 PM,