Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headset Auto Volume?
I'm in the process of installing a Hondaline CB (Panasonic) in my '86 Aspencade. I've been going through some old posts on radio's and cb's and found some information that's not correct. For clarification, I am talking about the type III Panasonic radio that was installed on the Aspencade as stock equipment and the same Panasonic "kit" that was installed on the Interstate's.
The auto volume does work on both systems. Some believe that since the speed sensor on the Aspencade was a digital sensor, the auto volume feature would not work on the Interstate because it was cable drive. As it turns out, the signal for the auto volume is a reference sent by the speedometer head (white/black tracer) Regardless of the input (digital or cable), the speedometer translates this input into an analog signal that is sent to the turnsignal cancel system, the odometer, and the auto volume control. I have had two Interstates in which the volume control worked correctly with the Panasonic III system.
I also saw a post (which I can't seem to find right now) that said the auto volume didn't work on the headsets of the Interstate, for the same reason. Does the auto volume work on headsets for the Aspencade? I can't find any literature on system "features" that clarifies whether or not it does. Since the speakers are inside the helmet, next to your ear, shielded from exterior noises, would you even want auto volume to work in your headsets?
#1 04-02-2008, 09:43 PM,
I can't say whether the Aspencade autovolume works with headsets or not. I can say that you'll find autovolume very useful, even when using headsets. Otherwise, you will almost certainly have to turn the volume up/down with speed changes as the GL1200 environment is noisier (wind noise mostly) than, say, a 1500. My 1800 is just about as noisy as my 1200 and even with autovolume I have to adjust headset volume up and down when starting and stopping.

I didn't know that the stock autovolume controller would work with an Interstate. Does the controller output via a 5-pin DIN connector? If so, then I might be able to use one in conjunction with the aftermarket stereo I installed on my Interstate... and that may be the reason that the controller will/won't work with headsets. It would have to be the final component in the chain, so to speak, so as to moderate stereo, CB and intercom volume before the signal reached the headsets.

Glen
Retired LEO
MSF RiderCoach
06 GL1800
86 GL1200
Previously owned -
06 HD Ultra Classic
03 Kawasaki Nomad
03 Kawasaki KLR 650
99 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
94 GL1500 Aspencade
91 GL1500 Interstate
86 Kawasaki Voyager XII
and the list goes on...
#2 04-02-2008, 09:56 PM,
That's good to know that the AVC works with the Interstate.
Looking at the diagram:
[Image: accesories.jpg]
It looks like the AVC works on the preamp signal going to the multi changer box:
[Image: accessories1.jpg]
You maybe able to ascertain as to whether the AVC works with the headsets looking at the above diagram:
A quick look tells me the AVC works only on the input to the power amp.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 04-03-2008, 06:15 AM,
On my Aspy, the auto volume works only on the speakers, but does not in the headsets. I just use the mute button when slowing down, stopping.
1984 Aspencade
#4 04-03-2008, 06:47 PM,
Chris G Wrote:On my Aspy, the auto volume works only on the speakers, but does not in the headsets.
I think that's why you can buy headset lower cords (the cord that connects the helmet to the bike's intercom system connector) that have volume controls built right into them.
'87 GL1200A - Black/Grey
'06 GL1800 - Arctic White
'81 CB750C - Blue/Blue
U.S. Navy SWO (1967 to 1976)
#5 04-14-2008, 05:05 AM,
WingMan71 Wrote:
Chris G Wrote:On my Aspy, the auto volume works only on the speakers, but does not in the headsets.
I think that's why you can buy headset lower cords (the cord that connects the helmet to the bike's intercom system connector) that have volume controls built right into them.

Can you point me to a supplier for these cords? I've never seen one. As far as I know, the passenger was the only one with volume control, and it couldn't exceed the master volume set by the driver
#6 04-14-2008, 12:00 PM,
glhonda Wrote:Can you point me to a supplier for these cords? I've never seen one. As far as I know, the passenger was the only one with volume control, and it couldn't exceed the master volume set by the driver
glhonda,

Here's a link to the lower cord with volume control for a 1980 through 2008 Honda 5-pin system. This one happens to connect to a J&M headset, but it may connect to others if they have the same connector on the helmet end.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HC-PBV&PF=26">http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp ... -PBV&PF=26</a><!-- m -->

I think you are correct in assuming that you can only modulate the volume up or down relative to the master volume setting at the head unit. But, that should still do the job.

Hope that helps.
'87 GL1200A - Black/Grey
'06 GL1800 - Arctic White
'81 CB750C - Blue/Blue
U.S. Navy SWO (1967 to 1976)
#7 04-14-2008, 12:55 PM,
I also have a question on the AVC does the tone control work on the headsets mine doesnt seem to??
#8 05-27-2008, 06:02 PM,
I am new to Goldwings having just purchased a 85 Aspencade and I am definately in love! I do have a question about the CB. I cannot hear the CB in the speakers or the headset. I adjust the squelch control until the RX appears in the window and turn up the volume yet I do not hear static as I woud think. Additionally, the channel swithc does not work (even after a good bath of contact spray) but the transmit switch does cause the TX to appear in the display. When the squelch is turned down (RX in the display) the radio mutes but, as I said, no CB audio.

Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

Craig Bowman
Durand, MI
#9 05-27-2008, 06:23 PM,
Is the CB set to channel 9? sometimes that button when it is pushed can stick in the on position, this would stop the channel changer from working.

Go over every connection in the left pocket, it's been there 24 odd years and if not periodically checked, moisture can cause problems.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#10 05-27-2008, 07:12 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need a primer on auto-volume, please... pstelter 8 4,147 02-18-2018, 08:45 AM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  Auto volume/Tone switch ship 2 2,062 05-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Last Post: ship
  Auto Volume working backwards roys654 4 1,984 08-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Last Post: roys654
  Auto volume nessy357 5 2,247 10-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Last Post: nessy357
  Auto volume 2 1,480 08-08-2010, 03:58 AM