Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
New to site. Questions about buying.
Hello everyone. I found the site a few days ago, and I have to say it is the best group and site on the internet. All of the posts are full of great info.

I have not bought a 1200 YET. I am looking and getting all the info I can first.

I know to ask about the stator. I also know to ask about the voltage when the bike is running.

What else should I ask about before I buy. I will probably have to travel at least a couple hundred miles to get the bike so I want to get a lot of info from the phone.

Thanks
#1 04-18-2008, 10:09 AM,
ask about the carbs, if the carbs are in bad shape the bike will drink gas as if you had a V8 between ur legs. ask about the electric system, fork seals, etc. bikes this age usually have a lot to fix, so ask every detail about it.
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#2 04-18-2008, 12:38 PM,
Welcome to the site Sissom. There is a vast wealth of knowledge on this board, and the folks are always ready to provide answers in great detail. One member has an engine torn apart just waiting to take pictures to help a fellow rider out.
What part of the world are you from?
Pappy
1998 GL1500 SE
Shelby, NC
[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
#3 04-18-2008, 05:00 PM,
Welcome Sissom! You may want to ask when the timing belts were changed. Then just the usual stuff, tires etc.
Keep an eye on the chatroom and dive in when you get the time. There you can get more immediate answers to your questions, not to mention meet some, cough cough, interesting individuals!
#4 04-18-2008, 06:19 PM,
Thanks for the information. I'm in Oklahoma.
#5 04-23-2008, 07:02 AM,
:roll: Hello--If you need more information about my bike,get back to me. I,am real close to you over here in New Mexico---Chuck
#6 04-23-2008, 09:51 AM,
Welcome from Ont.,Canada
Good luck with the bike hunt.I would like to mention something about buying a Wing.Obviously the stator(charging sys in general)and the timing belts are very important,but I think that if you can find one farther north(not sure how hot it is in your area)where the temps aren't really high all the time then you will have less problem with rubber components like vacuum lines,fuel lines etc...We don't seem to have as many issues with our bikes up here in the north as it is lot cooler most of the time.Even though our bikes sit for months in storage over the winter we don't seem to have the carb problems that they do where it is extremely hot.This is just an observation that I've made doing a bit of reading on a few Wing sites.I could be way off base here,but I'm on my 5th Wing and have never had to touch the carbs on any of them as far as being plugged or needing rebuilt.Take it for what it's worth and like I said good luck.

PS If you do find one that is not in your area there might be a member there that would be willing to go and have a look at it for you and save you a trip.
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#7 04-23-2008, 04:32 PM,
This site has tips on buying different goldwings, pretty good information,most of which has been covered already. I wish you were closer to NC, I have an 84 for sale with detailed history for the last 30K miles.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goldwingfacts.com/usedgoldwing.htm">http://www.goldwingfacts.com/usedgoldwing.htm</a><!-- m -->
Pappy
1998 GL1500 SE
Shelby, NC
[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
#8 04-23-2008, 04:43 PM,
Thanks for the info. and the site. It is a helpful. Chuck, I hope you still have the bike in another month!
#9 04-30-2008, 07:28 AM,
welcome to gl1200 goldwings sissom, you'll find alot of info for wings like ours here. would you put your location in your profile? thanks and enjoy
'75cb750 ,'79cb750superK,
'93gl1500se, '79cb 750f,
'85cb450sc, '05sunL70
'06 ST 1300....william
#10 04-30-2008, 10:57 AM,