Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
POORBOY KIT AVAILABLE HERE
If you would like an alternator conversion kit or a price quote please send poorboy an email (Don Pigott) to user name Collector at: poorboy67@juno.com
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#1 02-13-2007, 09:53 AM,
They are Poorboy kits. My kits would costs hundreds more due to the added complexities

#2 02-13-2007, 05:17 PM,
please send me the info
#3 03-11-2007, 05:43 AM,
on what?

#4 03-11-2007, 09:55 AM,
on the price of the conversion kit, and how soon I can get one
#5 03-11-2007, 12:27 PM,
Can you please send me the info on the poorboy kits. I've emailed you a few times. You be busy man..Rich in Colorado [/img]
#6 04-23-2007, 12:42 PM,
Hey Angela,
just wanted you to know, it's really great to see women like yourself getting into this MC stuff and doing your own work. I think it's great!
:wink:
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#7 07-09-2007, 12:17 PM,
fysty-1 Wrote:
myplace 46 Wrote:Hey Angela,
just wanted you to know, it's really great to see women like yourself getting into this MC stuff and doing your own work. I think it's great!

Thanks Myplace, I wish I could do more. I have all the tools ( Mech & woodworking), a lot of ability but I don't have the body anymore to be able to crawl around on the ground. :x :x :x :x And I just found out today that id I want to change a bulb or all of them I have to remove my bag & trunk rails to get the lenses out. The trunk rail has a light bar on it as well and soon (maybe tomorrow) so will the bag rails. More work to do. I have always done this kind of thing. So long as you have the manuels, take your time & keep things clean, it is not difficult to do work on any bike. I split the case of a 500 S/W in 1990 for a friend of mine, to replace a leaking gasket. The honda dealer I bought the parts from was very straight forward with advice & warnings of what to watch for. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I know the feeling, I try not to get down to low to the ground unless I have at least 3 or 4 other things to do while I'm down there!
you got your work cut out for you girl but that's what makes it fun, right? :wink:
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#8 07-09-2007, 06:29 PM,
fysty-1 Wrote:
myplace 46 Wrote:Hey Angela,

Thanks Myplace, I wish I could do more. I have all the tools ( Mech & woodworking), a lot of ability but I don't have the body anymore to be able to crawl around on the ground. :x :x :x :x And I just found out today that id I want to change a bulb or all of them I have to remove my bag & trunk rails to get the lenses out. The trunk rail has a light bar on it as well and soon (maybe tomorrow) so will the bag rails. More work to do. I have always done this kind of thing. So long as you have the manuels, take your time & keep things clean, it is not difficult to do work on any bike. I split the case of a 500 S/W in 1990 for a friend of mine, to replace a leaking gasket. The honda dealer I bought the parts from was very straight forward with advice & warnings of what to watch for. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I know the feeling, I try not to get down to low to the ground unless I have at least 3 or 4 other things to do while I'm down there!
you got your work cut out for you girl but that's what makes it fun, right? :wink:
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#9 07-09-2007, 06:52 PM,
fysty-1 Wrote:Thanks Vic. I think I can do the calculations from your suggestions. The pulley that came with the Poor Boy Kit is 2 3/8" and this is for the crank. I should be able to get the right ratio from what you said. Thanks Smile Smile Smile Smile

You eliminate the pulley that comes with the kit and replace it with a pulley that is 3 3/4" in diameter. This will be the correct mechanical ratio needed to give a decent charge at idle.

#10 07-09-2007, 07:17 PM,
Just curious here,
since the pulley poorboy includes in the kit is too small, why does he even include it?
I mean, why not include a pulley that's large enough to work properly in the first place?
#11 07-12-2007, 08:03 PM,
Vic, What is the bore and key on the new pulley? Is it a Set screwed woodruf key,straight key, etc.,? Just Curious.
#12 07-12-2007, 10:16 PM,
I honestly don't recall the bore of the pulley but I know that it's slightly larger than the bolt and there is no key it is simply held fast by the bolt torque and friction.

#13 07-13-2007, 06:45 AM,
dan filipi Wrote:Just curious here,
since the pulley poorboy includes in the kit is too small, why does he even include it?
I mean, why not include a pulley that's large enough to work properly in the first place?

In many cases the driving style of most Wing owners is such that the charging needs of the smaller puller pulley is never a concern but in certain circumstances or with certain alternators the alternator needs to be speeded up with a larger pulley to maintain adequate battery charge state.

If you get on your bike and head straight for the highway right after you start your bike you don't need the larger pulley but if you start your bike and drive downtown and cruise around downtown with all your accessory lights and stereo blasting you need a 3.75" or larger crankshaft pulley to keep up with the low RPM current requirements otherwise you will end up with a dead battery consistently.

Poorboy doesn't know what your exact needs are unless you tell him straight. He offers a great product for our Wings so make sure that you inform him of any special needs you might have for his product so he can offer suggestions and possible solutions.

For my own Wing rather than using a larger pulley I used an alternator from a lift truck, same Nippondenso case on the outside but more segments on the armature/commutator on the inside and this fools the alternator into thinking that it's going faster than it really is so I get about 30% more charge at low speed without using a larger pulley and I don't have to worry about overspeeding at the redline. More expensive but it works.

#14 07-13-2007, 07:01 AM,
I see, that makes sense.

Thanks for clearing that up.
#15 07-13-2007, 10:23 AM,