Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newby in Florida
Hi Everybody,

I'm sure glad I found this site. I'm not only a new rider (4 months) but was able to snag a great deal on a 1985 Interstate in very very good condition. At first I figured that it would just be a starter bike ... now I'm hopelessly in love. She still turns heads and rides beautifully.

I've seen several write ups on the Goldwing family and many have stated that due to the weight and high center of gravity it is NOT a good started bike. My experience has been just the opposite. After about a weeks worth of visiting a local empty parking lot my Goldwing and I are like a single being in fluid motion. What a beautiful machine. I have no complaints and I'm certain that my decision to buy this bike was true providence.

I know quite a few people who are hard core Harley riders that were extremely impressed with my bike .. so much so that I recently won a bike nite 1st prize at a local biker watering hole. I'm sure these guys would never desert their Harleys but my bike has received alot of respect that I hadn't expected.

Anyway, I live in Dunedin, Florida so between the blistering heat and the daily summer rains I got to chose my riding time each day by events out of my control. I can't wait for the Fall season (that is if you count 75 + degree weather from September through December Fall).

I'll probably be an annoyance to the more vintage GL1200 riders with my maintenance questions, but please be patient. I just want what we all want ... lots of great rides on a superb bike. I'm overwhelmed by the quality of the Honda Goldwings ... I think this will be a very long love affair.

Happy Safe Riding to Everybody

Billy
#1 07-28-2008, 04:19 PM,
Welcome, Billy. If you get a chance, post a picture of your new love.
#2 07-28-2008, 04:45 PM,
Welcome I am not to far from you. 1st Saturday of every month is the Plant City bike night. let me know if you are comming can we can meet. Hope to see you this saturday.
Traning will keep you alive.
Ride Safe,
Scott
1986 Aspencade SE-I

My Baby http://s644.photobucket.com/albums/uu164/motor22pc/
#3 07-28-2008, 05:18 PM,
Hey Billy...welcome to the site. I taught myself how to ride and did so for 6 months and THEN took a motorcycle safety course. I picked up quite a bit more knowledge than I expected and a few times it has come in handy.

If you haven't already, take the course.

Again welcome and lets see some pics!!!!
#4 07-28-2008, 07:25 PM,
Welcome from BC Billy! As for asking a lot of questions, ask away! That's a big part of why this site is great, lots of great people with lots of knowledge of these great bikes.
#5 07-29-2008, 06:54 PM,
Hi Billy!!
Welcome from north Georgia.
My personal knowledge is a bit limited, but there are experts lurking here abouts, and they are always ready to help. Also, if I can help, I will, but I don`t but in if I`m not sure of something. I hope you enjoy our group, as much as we enjoy you being here.
Overdrive26
Wayne Allen Smile Smile
If you treat your 1200 right, and trust her, she can and will save your butt from a lot of bad scenes. Just believe in her! Mine has several times.
#6 07-29-2008, 09:28 PM,
Welcome to the Site!! Just ask when you have a question!!!!!!!!!!
1985 Limited Edition
#7 07-29-2008, 09:34 PM,
Welcome to the site Billy, we all help each other here so ask away, someone will have the answer.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#8 08-02-2008, 08:10 PM,
welcome to the Wing World :lol:

and I am just a warm up ride away from you, so if you get the itch to put a few miles on your new baby, give me a shout.

a couple of points to remember: there are NO stupid questions, lots of stupid answers, but no stupid questions.

get yourself to a MSF rider course real quick. you will be amazed at how much there is to learn about riding, some of it is dirt basic, but it's all good info.

and to stay alive on the street, remember these two things every heartbeat:

1. NOBODY sees you, ever,ever,ever!

2. anyone who happens to see you will ACTIVELY try to kill you.

sounds paranoid, but it is something to keep you and baby here for a long time.

see ya in the wind

Steve
#9 08-03-2008, 04:13 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another Newby! 7 6,245 09-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Guest