Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Finnishing touches, need a little more help
Okay, I'm finally getting to where my 1200 standard is going to be done with the poorboy kit. Finally. So, here are my (hopefully) last 2 questions.

1) Wiring.

Can I do a one wire hookup using the bolt coming out of the alternator and not have to mess with anything else? Do I need to keep looking and find a switched circut to plug into?

2) Regulator.

Where exactly is the regulator that I need to unplug? Is it the black box underneat the fake tank above the fuses? How many wires are in the assembly I need to unplug? Is it really neccesary to unplug the regulator if my stator's bad?

Thanks for any help.
#1 08-22-2008, 04:30 PM,
It depends on the alternator you used. Unless yours has a regularor that is set up to be self exciting you will have to have a switched 12 volt source. You do not have to remove the orignal regulator, just cut the stator wires.

Poorboy
#2 08-22-2008, 08:42 PM,
The above post pretty well says it all.
But removing the regulator gives you an ideal place to install a multi fuse panel so you can use all that excess power you now have Smile

Show us a picture of the alternator.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 08-23-2008, 05:22 AM,
Here's the alternator
[Image: HPIM1233.jpg]
And, just to check, is that box in the front my regulator?
[Image: HPIM1234.jpg]

Thanks again. I hope to be riding her tonight!
#4 08-23-2008, 08:31 AM,
The regulator is on the left hand side with the six wires coming out of it. The black box in the front is the ignition control unit, I think.
#5 08-23-2008, 09:24 AM,
Your alternator has a plug in the end with 3 spades. One spade is to be connected to the ACC+ one can be used as a charging lamp indicator and the other is a dummy.

Read <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gl1200goldwings.com/techcenter/article1003.htm">http://gl1200goldwings.com/techcenter/article1003.htm</a><!-- m -->

Attached Files
.jpg   reg.jpg (Size: 22.75 KB / Downloads: 108)

#6 08-23-2008, 02:31 PM,
Okay, so after spending a lot of time on this thing, I get everything set up per the instructions here. The juice coming to my alternator, posted above, is coming from one of the bigger wires at my fuse box. I look at what the fuse box says and can't see any of them that look like they wouldn't work. So I went with a big one because I figure it's the one that doesn't have the 10 amp fuse. Everything's good to go.

So, after having this bike for 7 weeks and not having been able to ride it (PO charged battery up and sold it as great condition) I finally take it out. Runs great. Love it. My wife and I ride around town a little visiting family. Every time I stop it starts back up. We get home, I decide to start it back up once more just to make sure it's working. It doesn't start. Battery charger shows it at about 50%. I'm a little ticked off. I just wanted to be able to ride next weekend. The belt is turning the pulley, so I'm good there. My alternator has the same spade as the one in the link Tricky posted (I spent a LOT of time looking at that thread.) I plugged the wire into the bottom spade where the perpindicular spade is on the left. Would there be any wires coming from the fuse box that WOULDN'T work to start the alternator? I'm sure there's a sollution to all of this, but I'm honestly thinking of selling the bike since I cannot seem to get the thing running. I've had this bike for 2 months of summer and, thanks to work schedule, haven't had enough time to make the thing work. When it runs, it works great. If it's not going to run, it's not going to do me any good. I'd love to get this sweet, smooth flat four going, though. Any help would be very appreciated.
#7 08-23-2008, 09:34 PM,
Before trying to diagnose electrical failure always have the battery load tested at a shop.

At the top of the fuse box there are two screws one has a - sign the other a + these are the accessory screws the + is already fused . This has power when the IGN is turned on. Hook up your wire to that screw.

Check the main fuse and the wiring. This will be found on the right side of the battery where the starter solenoid is located.

Remember you are working with a bike that is almost 25 years old and one that a previous owner has discarded probably because there are a few parts of the bike that need TLC

I guess I am lucky I have had my bike from new in 85 and have come across most of the problems that crop up, I say MOST.

#8 08-24-2008, 05:52 AM,
Thanks for the help. The battery is less than two monts old. I bought it and tried to run it a few times, running the battery to half way dead twice now. I'll still check it.

I'll also check the fuses and change where I'm connecting in at. The frustrating part of the deal is that I'm going to a training for the next 10 weeks and I'll only get to spend sunday night, saturday and sunday morning at home. I was really hoping to be able to get some good all day rides in with it on Saturdays, but I get to work on it now instead.
#9 08-24-2008, 10:18 AM,
Just think of the fun you will have when you get the bugs worked out. If you have a test light or volt meter check that there is voltage to the exciter wire with the key on and then make sure it still has voltage when running. If you have a volt meter check voltage at the battery with the engine off then again at idle(1000RPM) then again around 2000RPM. If the voltage is around 12v off then around 14v when running 2000+RPM then the battery is probably bad even though it's fairly new.
“A good traveler has no fixed plans,and is not intent on arriving”~ Lao Tzu ~
[Image: 16hvxut.jpg]
[Image: 15r1pnl.jpg]
In Stable
1985 GL1200 Interstate(RIP)
2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650(Wife's Bike)
#10 08-24-2008, 01:31 PM,
You do have a wire from the battery directly to the alternator post ?
#11 08-24-2008, 05:22 PM,
Poorboy Wrote:You do have a wire from the battery directly to the alternator post ?
Yep, 8 ga. with a 50 amp fuse right next to the battery.

I'm going to need to get a volt meter and test a lot of different things. There's only so many it can be now. I'm a little calmer now that I've taken a day away from it and haven't scraped every finger I have and burnt myself with a soldering iron within the previous 12 hours. Deep breath. Okay, I'll work on it next weekend.
#12 08-24-2008, 05:58 PM,
Alright, so next weekend is here and I took the opportunity to pull my bike apart a little bit. I had charged it up last weekend and it held the charge. I know this isn't a definate test of battery life, but it says something. Fired the bike up for a while. Over time the battery charge dropped. Raised rpms, still dropped. Changed the input into the alternator from the wire I had hooked into to the "+" screw on the fuse box. Fired it up, let it go, battery charge raised. Kept it hooked to the charger, gave the throttle a couple blips and I could watch the charge increase and decrease with rpms. I think I've got it now.

I can't say a big enough thanks to everyone who helped me with this project. Without this forum I know I couldn't have gotten the project done and would have had to input huge amounts of money on a fix that wouldn't have lasted as long as what I've got now.

Thanks again to everyone.
#13 08-30-2008, 11:44 AM,
Glad to hear you chased the bug away. Big Grin Now...... Enjoy your rides!!
“A good traveler has no fixed plans,and is not intent on arriving”~ Lao Tzu ~
[Image: 16hvxut.jpg]
[Image: 15r1pnl.jpg]
In Stable
1985 GL1200 Interstate(RIP)
2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650(Wife's Bike)
#14 08-30-2008, 01:11 PM,
My wife and I did a short 150 mile ride today to get some ice cream. Surely was a good time. I hope we have time for 200 tomorrow.
#15 08-30-2008, 06:32 PM,