Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery cover needed
Well I finally got the 86 wing home after spending the last several days parked in a friends garage. I got the battery charged up (charging system not working) and took the bike for a quick spin. Man it rides nice, after spending time in the saddle of much smaller bikes I now uinderstand why the Goldwings are the elite touring bikes! Now for the only issue (other than an alt conversion in my future) somewhere during the 25 mi ride the battery cover blew off. I haven't been able to find it. How difficult are they to get replaced? Any ideas as to cost? [Image: poor.gif]. I really want to make this bike my own but would like to keep the things covered that are supposed to be covered.
Charlie
#1 10-04-2008, 11:13 PM,
You can find them on e-bay, cheap. welcome to the site.........also there are used goldwing parts sites. you can find the address's here somewhere. 8)
#2 10-04-2008, 11:46 PM,
That one is pretty high, but I doubt if you can get one for less than 10%. They go usually for $100 to $150. Seems the battery side is the one that gets missing and are hard to find. The other side can be bought cheap. Once in a while there is a seller that has some new covers that are black for around $80.
Pappy
1998 GL1500 SE
Shelby, NC
[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
#3 10-05-2008, 05:34 AM,
When you find a replacement you might want to do what I and some3 others have done. Put safety cable on the side covers and on the saddlebag lids. It might save you the cash and headache of finding another. I've seen them go for as much as $250.00 on Ebay, crazy but!!!! I'd buy a truck load if you can find em at $30.00 each.
#4 10-05-2008, 05:46 AM,
Tie these things on! a 6" bungie cord costs a lot less than $100

When you get your next one, drill a small hole in the column that holds the front plug and hook the bungie into it and hook it onto the bike.

You can also still get the rubber grommets, after time they can get hard and not hold securely.

Sometimes when you push the cover on you dont catch all three of the grommets.

While your at it the lids of the side luggage boxes tend to get lost on the highway also, do the same with them. two cords attached to one of the latch screws back and front will allow you full access and prevent the lids from flying off and as an added bones when you take them off you don't have to look around for somewhere to put them

Attached Files
.jpg   bike 001.jpg (Size: 144.83 KB / Downloads: 76)
.jpg   bike 003.jpg (Size: 125.26 KB / Downloads: 71)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 10-05-2008, 05:54 AM,
dittos on the wire retainers.

I bought 2 feet of 1/16 stainless cable and 4 crimp on ends at Lowes for $1.78

drill a hole in each of the top mounting posts, thread the wire through. crimp the end at the rear of the cover, if ya REALLY wanna be anal dip the cable in super glue before you crimp.

make a loop at the front, and I used a mini carabiner to hook over the negative battery cable.

was chasing a couple of hotties on I-75 saturday, and after woo hooing with them, noted the cover laying oh so sweetly against the left saddlebag Big Grin

and the damn things are WAAAAY expensive on the flea bay too :roll:
#6 10-07-2008, 07:22 AM,
Those are all great ideas. Looks like the previous owner of my bike lost the cover and now I will make sure to secure the replacement. Thanks.
#7 10-27-2008, 08:44 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need the battery cover...brown '84 10 2,728 01-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Guest
  Want to Buy 84 GL 1200 Battery side cover LarryH 8 2,539 05-30-2009, 05:52 AM
Last Post: aspengold
  need left side battery cover panel 84 int. wineberry 5 1,846 09-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Guest