Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
87 interstate radio wire colors....
I have a 1987 interstate....god forbid but it has a yamaha radio in it.....one speaker wire in the radio itself is comming detached so when I hit a bump it comes on and off...used the fader to just have only my good speaker working....this got me through the summer...now it's too cold to ride up here in New England so i got a new/used radio to put in it for my winter project....but the colors of the wires dont match up...the yamaha radio just plugs in....so I dont know if these are stock colors....or if a yamaha plug was wired in the bike....I don't think that's it because it all looks very stock on the bike end but i need to know what colors are supposed to be there and what each color does...the new radio has light green, purple and the old one is like reds and blues and yellows...I need help where can I find what colors are what for the honda stereos??? Thanks
#1 11-22-2008, 12:32 AM,
djnwc Wrote:I have a 1987 interstate....god forbid but it has a yamaha radio in it.....one speaker wire in the radio itself is comming detached so when I hit a bump it comes on and off...used the fader to just have only my good speaker working....this got me through the summer...now it's too cold to ride up here in New England so i got a new/used radio to put in it for my winter project....but the colors of the wires dont match up...the yamaha radio just plugs in....so I dont know if these are stock colors....or if a yamaha plug was wired in the bike....I don't think that's it because it all looks very stock on the bike end but i need to know what colors are supposed to be there and what each color does...the new radio has light green, purple and the old one is like reds and blues and yellows...I need help where can I find what colors are what for the honda stereos??? Thanks

The Interstate did not have a stock radio fitted. Some owners had the optional Honda/Panasonic radio installed (very few) so probably what you have is an aftermarket radio installed with a radio bezel made by aftermarket manufacturers, it does make it look like it lives there.
Any wiring problems you are probably on your own to figure out as we would not have access to any diagrams as to how the installer fitted the radio.

The stock Panasonic radio slides into a mounted metal receiver which has the wiring receptical mounted at the back, the radio slides in and into the wiring socket.

If you have purchased the stock radio you will need to purchase the wiring harness and the slider in order to install it.
If you came back with some pictures of what you had and what you have we might be able to help.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 11-22-2008, 07:13 AM,
what I have some pics of the radio and colors...it is a 9 pin connector

Attached Files
.jpg   bp4.jpg (Size: 343.88 KB / Downloads: 120)
.jpg   bp3.jpg (Size: 349.82 KB / Downloads: 122)
.jpg   bp2.jpg (Size: 360.71 KB / Downloads: 132)
#3 11-22-2008, 03:41 PM,
more

Attached Files
.jpg   bp5.jpg (Size: 351.44 KB / Downloads: 118)
.jpg   bp6.jpg (Size: 303.38 KB / Downloads: 119)
#4 11-22-2008, 03:42 PM,
The stock wiring harness for the Honda Aspencade will not have been fitted to your bike so there is no way I can suggest a way of connecting to something that is not there.

You will need to look into a manual for your new radio to find which wires do what.

Basically you need to distinguish the left and right speaker wires, which you can see anyway.
there would only be three others that you would need to concern yourself with.
Power, ground and memory function if it has such.

If the previous owner has made a harness which looks to be the case which that plug connects to you will need to find out where he has made the connections,

If the new radio is larger than the one you have, you can purchase a bezel which will give you more room to fit the radio.
Stereo Radio Bezel AN-IRC871 <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chrometoys.com/38.html">http://www.chrometoys.com/38.html</a><!-- m -->

#5 11-22-2008, 04:07 PM,
And your point is?

The Interstate did not have the radio installed when new. It was an option. Either installed by the dealer for the owner or installed after by the owner.

The wiring options for the radio on the Interstate would have no bearing on the bike we are discussing.
The wiring for the option consists of a plug to connect the channel changer/mute and the CB channel change and PTT and the corresponding plugs at the radio end

The first picture are the plugs for the handlebar switches.
The second being the plugs at the radio end including I think an AVC connection that comes from the speedometer.

There is no wiring for power for a radio that would be installed with the required harness.
The speaker wires would be in the speaker option kit.

Attached Files
.jpg   radio plugs_AVC connection.jpg (Size: 8.73 KB / Downloads: 314)
.jpg   plugs for cb handlebar connections.jpg (Size: 12.43 KB / Downloads: 120)

#6 11-23-2008, 08:16 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adding aftermarket radio to a virgin 85 Interstate? (What brackets are needed?) wallbrad 2 2,292 05-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Last Post: wallbrad