Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Ohio Newb
HI,

Looks like a great site for information. I'm in central Ohio and am a transplant from the scooters. Just started riding in May due to ga$ price$. Just bought a 1985 GL 1200 LTD form an owner in Virginia. He was the "second" owner, actually the third but the true second owner was afraid of the bike when he laid it down in the garage. Nothing a little paint can't fix. Last owner didn't ride much in the year he had it and kept the batttery charged by keeping it on the tender all the time. Kept having rpoblems with the electronics on it. I took it home and put a new battery in it and haven't had the first electrical problem yet.

Want to use the site to learn about the "old wings" and all the tricks and fixes.

Chuck
#1 11-25-2008, 10:47 AM,
Welcome to the site Chuck. Lots of great info and people here. I just started riding again earlier this year, and was able to perform all of the maintenance and mods in large part due to this forum. I'm sure the bike hasn't ran this well in years.
#2 11-25-2008, 12:03 PM,
And another welcome, Chuck. This is the place to learn all you need to know, and more, about the best bike Honda ever made.
#3 11-25-2008, 12:05 PM,
Welcome Chuck,
Hope to hear a lot from you. If you need help, this group can usually bail you out. :wink:
#4 11-25-2008, 02:43 PM,
Welcome to the site Chuck! There are a couple of us on here from Warren County, near Kings Island. Give me a shout if you ever head down this way!
1986 Aspencade SEi
Former rides: 1970? QA50, 1972 SL125, 1976 Suzuki GT380, 1975 CB200, 1981 CM400T, 1982 CX500 Silver Wing, 1984 500 Shadow
#5 11-25-2008, 04:20 PM,
Howdy Chuck! Greetings from NE Ohio in the Tuscarawas County area. If you ever come through this neck of the woods, let me know; we'll meet up and I'll buy ya a coffee.
Rich
#6 11-25-2008, 04:37 PM,
Welcome to the forum from across the little pond in a cold and white Ontario,
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#7 11-25-2008, 04:46 PM,
Welcome to the Site!! Nice to see another Ltd Ed on the road!!

As far as maintenence, the 2 things I'd look at first are the timing belts and the Infamous 3 yellow wire stator connector and the regulator connector.

On the timing belts, If you don't know how old they are change them and while you're there change the thermostat and radiator hoses also.

On the stator plug, remove the left side cover and look to the left of the battery and it's right there. If the connector shows any sign of discoloration or has a burn't look it need's to be cut out and hardwired/soldered together and insulated with heat shrink tubing.

To look at the regulator connector you have to remove the seat and the fake fuel tank. The 2 regulator plugs are located to the front left of the compartment. When I did mine I ran 3 new 12ga yellow wires so I would have some extra for future use. I also cut both plugs at the regulator and soldered all the wires there also.

Good luck with her and shout if ya need help!!
1985 Limited Edition
#8 11-25-2008, 10:27 PM,
Great! Another Buckeye joins the group! Welcome aboard from a transplanted Columbusite now in Northern Cincinnati (Kings Island area)
For sure you picked a winning bike . . nothing beats a GL1200 for comfort and ease of repair. Big Grin
#9 11-26-2008, 07:44 AM,
Another Big Welcom!
Your going to get a lot out of this site, everyone was big help when I needed that dreaded Stator replaced. There is a large amount of knowledge on this site and everyone is always willing to help.
#10 11-26-2008, 08:20 AM,
Welcome to the site from southwest Ohio. Big Grin Big Grin There is getting to being enough Ohio people to get a good riding group going here. Any takers?
1986 Aspencade
#11 11-26-2008, 07:23 PM,
Another big welcome from the West Coast of BC Chuck! Welcome to the group! This is the place to be for anything you want to know about these great bikes (and maybe some things don't). Great bunch of folk on the site. Feel free to drop into the chatroom!
#12 11-26-2008, 08:07 PM,