Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vic, holly question
<DIV> </DIV> <DIV>How do you think the Holley one barrell that came on the slant six Dodge/Plymouth would do on these Wings?</DIV> <DIV>Also, I would like to add, the machinist that did the work for me on my airbox has indicated that he would build an airbox for any carburetor for a reasonable cost. He indicated around $200.00 starting price. This may not include the runners.</DIV> <DIV>All he would need is a drawing with the dimensions.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Dennis</DIV>
#1 11-01-2008, 12:51 AM,
<DIV>Thanks for the input on single barrel carbs. I am sure I will sacrifice some top end, but I am not interested in top end. 70 miles an hour is about my top end anyway. I will be thrilled to just get the trike to run decent up to 70 or so.</DIV>
#2 11-19-2008, 12:30 AM,
<DIV>Cowboybob, what you say makes sense. </DIV> <DIV>I ain't trying to be agumentive here, but hopefully to inspire some debate about carburetors which will help me to learn something about them. I am the first to admit that I ain't the sharpest tack in the nail keg, so bear with me on this.</DIV> <DIV>According to Google, an 1100cc engine figures out to be 67.1 cubic inches.</DIV> <DIV>If a 67.1 cubic inch engine runs at 10,000 rpms, then that engine should only need 671,000 cubic inches of air per minute. Is this right so far? Now, a 600 cfm carburetor can supply 600X1728 cubic inches per minute.</DIV> <DIV>600X1728=1,036,800 cubic inches. This looks like a 300 or 350 cfm carburetor should meet most requirements of these bikes.</DIV> <DIV>Holley recommends undersizing the carburetor regarding cubic feet. I don't know why, but they do. Please share some thoughts on this, and let's just see maybe what we can come up with here. Thanks, Dennis</DIV> <DIV> </DIV>
#3 11-19-2008, 04:53 PM,
<DIV>Cowboybob, sheesh, 5 or 6 thousand rpms? Not at my age, no way. I ain't seen that many rpms on nothing but a dremel. LOL</DIV> <DIV>I have a friend over at Greenwood, S.C. that has a 78 wing with the CCI conversion, and he loves the thing.</DIV> <DIV>He is an ASME certified mechanic, been at it for years. He indicated like you have said, over 70 or 75 miles an hour, there is a less friskie response, but overall, he is happy. But heck, I don't have the slightest intention of seeing this old bike at the rpm's you mentioned.</DIV> <DIV>I like Vic's posting earlier about the Weber progessive 2 barrel. I am hoping to find one of them pretty soon and maybe see how they do.</DIV> <DIV>Do they make a carburetor with variable jets, dependant on the demands of the engine? Just wondering.</DIV>
#4 11-20-2008, 10:56 PM,
<DIV>This old teapot, Holley model 1901 has the power valve. This thing screams at high RPM, but idling is a different matter, it acts like it is starving for gas. I am gonna change the fuel pump and look into some other issues and see if that can be resolved.</DIV> <DIV>Maybe it set so long that I cannot get the idle circuit real clean. Do you know of anyone that has the hot bath dip? Do you know of any secrets of cleaning the idle circuit?</DIV> <DIV>Thanks, Dennis</DIV> <DIV>btw, have you ever heard of the FISH carburetor?</DIV>
#5 11-21-2008, 11:32 AM,
Guys I want to throw in my 2 cents worth. Please don't take me as a know it all but what I am going to share with you is my experience.I have been running a single carb on my GL 1000 going on nine years. Don't mind sharing this with you guys. I used the original air box as the intake manifold. I did this for two reasons. (1) is I could use the bellcrank for my throttle cable hook up (2) I had the correct angle going from it to the intake ports on the heads. The first carb I tried was a rodchester B off a chevrolet. It worked fine at speeds above idle but never could get the idle like I wanted it. So I changed to a Ford Carb 1100 it came off of a 1968 Ford Falcon. I had to drill out the idle passage a little to get it to idle like I wanted it to. As we all know the Gl engine's vacuum drops off sharply at 2000 RPM'S as a compairison to a car engine. The Falcon engine will pull about 15 inches of vacuum at idle 500 RPMS the GL engine at a 1000 RPMS will be some where around 7 to 8 inches of vacuum. My GL 1000 will idle at 900 but a lot smoother at a1000 rpm's. Now lets talk about the high speed jet. After getting the idle like I wanted it I took her for a good hard run. I noticed she wanted to surge and felt like the engine had a miss in it. I brought her back to the garage and did not let it idle shut it right off pulled the plugs. They were cold black. I knew it was over fueling. I took the carb back off took out the high speed jet found me a drill bit that just fit the hole in the jet. I then took a torch and heated the jet and filled it with solder. I then took the drill bit that I used to measure the hole on the jet and took the next size smaller bit and drilled a hole in the solder. Put it back on the bike, scrubbed the plugs in hot soap and water air blowed them dry put them back in the bike and went for another ride. The surge was gone but it still wanted to bogg down a little back to the garage shut it right down pulled the plugs again they were still a little black took out the jet filled it in again. Went one more size smaller then the drill bit I used. Cleaned the plugs again took her out for another run ,ran her up to 100 that was fast enough for me surge and miss was gone took her back pulled the plugs again nice and brown just like they should be. Been running it like that for nine years fuel mileage 35 to 38 mpg depending on how hard I run her. Pulling the trailer don't seem to change the mileage. I don't know how fast she will run I don't care I know she will run 100 and for a 72 year old man that is fast enough.
#6 01-01-2010, 06:49 PM,
Guys I want to add something else. Again please don't take me as a know it all. I have been a mechanic all my life both gas and diesel , You can tell a lot about what is going on in a gas engine my pulling the spark plugs. On a motorcycle if you are checking the spark plugs do not let it idle as most carbureted motorcycle will run rich at idle. So after a hard run shut it right down then pull the plugs they should be a light brown color. If you have more then one cylinder and there is a difference in the color of the plugs one is brown and the other is black the black cylinder is over fueling telling you ,you have a problem in that cylinder If it has a carb for each cylinder that carb could be over fueling that cylinder or you could have a mechanical problem in that cylinder such as low compression, run a compression check and compare it to the other cylinder. Even compression is more important then maximum compression. The nice thing I like about my single CARB is I have never had to pull the carb in the nine years it has been on the GL. You will hear a lot of discussion about single carb and high speed performance. I would say if you are interested in racing the bike or traveling at speeds over 100 MPH. then forget the single Carb But if you are interested in simplicity and less maintains Then the single Carb may interest you. Just installing a single Carb is not a simple nor easy task it takes some planing and experimenting But we know it can be done for a lot of GL owners have done it.
#7 01-03-2010, 08:32 AM,
80 mph is my top limit, Mainly because I really can do with out a speeding ticket.
160 or so bucks around here, and it's worse on the Indian reservations, which you can be on and not know it. A lot of the state roads run through the reservations with no indication at all. You get stopped by them and they can do stuff like keep your car if they want to.

Nope, I'll be fairly law-abiding, thank you very much. ^Smile^
1978 'Wing UnDressed, Progressivily Weber Carbureted.
1976 'Wing undressed doner
#8 01-09-2010, 10:44 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  32/36 Weber Holly on CI Manifold Badorderbob 20 7,998 10-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Badorderbob
  2 bbl holly (webber carbs 4 1,790 10-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Guest