Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade to radio - cb. (stator)
I am the proud owner of an excellent 86 aspencade. No problems to speak of ,although I am thinking of a newer radio (mp3 & satellite capable) & a new cb. I am from a no helmet law state & rarely use the brainbucket unless traveling through required states. With that being said - it does not break my heart to remove the intercom system. My concern is this : by installing a newer radio(no amplifier) , a decent cb & gps - do I need to worry about the effects of this on the stator? A side question I have is : (with all electronics on,inc. all lights) Does it have any different or bad effects on the stator riding around town vs. down the interstate ? Any kind remarks are appreciated ,TY.
#1 02-17-2009, 08:14 PM,
Welcome to the site. I can see you're going to be a trouble maker! :lol:
You joined today, and with your first post, you open up two of the biggest buckets of worms on the forum........Nice Job!! :lol:
Opinions vary.......but I don't see the aftermarket radio and cb being more of a drain on the electrical system than the stock units.
Keep it up, and we may have to indoctrinate you into some of the more subversive "clics" on the forum.
Glad to have you!
#2 02-17-2009, 08:24 PM,
Thanx for the reply - I am thinking that the radio swap will be easier than getting my avatar to show up :lol: . I hope to make a lot of good friends here. Have a nice night.
#3 02-17-2009, 08:39 PM,
There are numerous ways of inputting mp3's into the stock system. My first wing was an Interstate that I added a radio back in 84, ( I bought my 85 the next year)Sony If I remember correctly, of course things have improved since with remote controls which make life easier. My biggest complaint about the radio was the fact that it didnt have Auto volume control, and it like most radios are designed for the quiet interior of a cage.
Maybe the marine units might have more power. I dont think there would be voltage problems with an aftermarket radio provided that one didnt add on a large amplifier. Remember there isnt much spare power left.

We can relegate the argument of wearing protective head gear to another forum, if you live in a state that has no helmet laws the choice is yours, whether it is the correct choice, I can leave up to you.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 02-17-2009, 09:11 PM,
Tricky, or anyone who cares Tongue
Any idea where I can get ahold of a waterproof cb(not marine). I was looking at the marine til I figured out they are on different frequencies-dangit. Tongue
#5 02-19-2009, 10:35 PM,
There is a CB available from J&M not cheap but would work through the stock radio I think.
I never use my headset for music, just the mike and have the music ported through the speakers on the fairing.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#6 02-20-2009, 06:38 AM,
Welcome to the Fourm wing ding, I think you will enjoy yourself here.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#7 02-20-2009, 01:41 PM,
bluewing -thanx for the welcome Tongue . tricky -I guess I should have specified that I am not tooo concerned about using the stock radio with "cb". I am just looking for a good stand alone waterproof cb - similar to what someone would put in a vehicle. Thanx though. I will keep looking Tongue
#8 02-20-2009, 08:02 PM,