Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
got the news
6 months
[Image: Roadawggoldwings-1-1.jpg]
#1 04-15-2009, 08:47 PM,
It is always difficult to know what to say. Sometimes it is best to say nothing, but to listen instead. I obviously have dealt with many people receiving this type of news over the years. I offer no false hopes, no false promises. But I do leave you with this: An 86-year-old woman in my parish was diagnosed with stomach cancer the week before Easter. Her doctor said she would be lucky to see Christmas. That was four years ago. She still has the cancer (she refused all treatment), and she still is in worship every Sunday, goes to the beauty parlor each Tuesday, and goes shopping any time she can talk one of her kids into driving her to the mall. A miracle or force of will? Always hard to make that call. But no matter what happens, God has her firmly in hand and isn't letting go.

If you would like to talk, please send me a PM. You are in prayer.
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
1994 GL1500SE Trike
#2 04-15-2009, 09:30 PM,
You are welcome to use this phone number, 519-325-0494, if you want to talk roadawg. Sometimes just talking about nothing can really help and you are welcome to give a call anytime. Know that you are in my prayers.

Vic
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 04-16-2009, 07:45 AM,
You will be in my thoughts. 5 years ago my wife was given 18 - 24 months max. With treatment she is not only still with me but she has been back to work for 2 years. Medicine is progressing daily. Don't give up - fight.
#4 04-16-2009, 12:12 PM,
There may not be many replies to your post as it is very difficult to find the words one needs to use.
I am not a religious person so I cant say you are in my prayers but you are in my thoughts at this traumatic time. Of course it is easy to say these things but keep a positive mind, many times they don't get it exactly right.

Tricky
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 04-16-2009, 02:34 PM,
Hang tough and don't give up hope!Things can change.
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#6 04-16-2009, 04:03 PM,
I am so sorry to hear the bad news. I sit here trying to think of something to say that might help but I can't, so I will just say I will be thinking of you and hope for a miracle. Please keep in mind even though most of us haven't we have a special connection. Best wishes to you and your family. Sad :ympray:
1986 Aspencade
#7 04-16-2009, 04:48 PM,
Roadawg, I was told 18 months. That was 39 months ago. I've been cancer-free for 21 months.

The GPs don't always know what the latest treatment options are or their survival rate. Find the foremost experts in the field, and get their opinions of how to treat. They can't give you any guarantees, good or bad, so don't even ask. Nobody gets any guarantees in this life. Nobody.

Don't go by the stats you see on the internet for 5-year survival rates, as those are already five years old. Medicine has come a long way in the last five years. The pharmaceutical companies are always coming out with new treatments. GE, etc. are constantly coming out with better, more precise, scanners, etc (they bring good things to life). Surgeons have really improved as they have learned to adopt the technologies that have been developed recently.

Enjoy every day that you have, and don't worry, as worrying will only ruin what you have. Nobody has any guarantees in this life, and the healthiest person you know could have a stroke at any moment, so make the most of your time with your friends and family, and be thankful.
1986 Honda GL1200 Interstate
#8 04-16-2009, 05:37 PM,
Be it 6 hours, 6 days, 6 months or 60+ years, Here's wishing your remaining time is filled with a joy in your heart and a smile on your face.
“A good traveler has no fixed plans,and is not intent on arriving”~ Lao Tzu ~
[Image: 16hvxut.jpg]
[Image: 15r1pnl.jpg]
In Stable
1985 GL1200 Interstate(RIP)
2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650(Wife's Bike)
#9 04-16-2009, 06:17 PM,
Roadawg,
I wish you I could come up with something profound ,or something that would clear it all away but all I can come up with is to tell you that you are in our prayers. And when I think about saying that ,I know that that is the best that anyone can do. We are not in control,but He does give us prayer.And prayer is always answered.This should serve as a reminder to us all that life is fragile. Enjoy every day.
I don't know how you're feeling right now but ,...if you ever want to get out for a ride... I'm not that far away and would love to join you,and if the bike isn't possible then I'll just drop over for a coffee if you like.
John -519-461-1190
If you ate today ,thank a farmer!!
#10 04-16-2009, 06:24 PM,
Thinking about ya bud....
1985 Limited Edition
#11 04-16-2009, 09:01 PM,
Be strong, roadawg. We're all pulling for you.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#12 04-16-2009, 09:02 PM,
Hang in there roadawg. You are in our thoughts.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#13 04-16-2009, 09:24 PM,
You are in our prayers.

Hang in there, life is not easy. You have many good people by your side.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#14 04-17-2009, 03:06 AM,
Roadawg,

You are in my prayers as well.

As many others have stated, get a second opinion from someone who specializes in this. More than likely they gave you the "book" worst case scenario. Modern medicine is progressing in leaps and bounds.

[Image: never-give-up.jpg]
#15 04-17-2009, 11:26 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good news Fatwing Chris 3 2,254 03-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Last Post: admin
  Good News! wildhorse 16 4,066 07-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Last Post: wildhorse