Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey, I just joined this site today!! (Steve from Canada)
I've owned 6 Goldwings since 1983. Aren't they terrrific bikes!

At present time I own a 1984 Aspencade.
Here's my boring website:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.geocities.com/amp_designer/index.htm">http://www.geocities.com/amp_designer/index.htm</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.geocities.com/amp_designer/scoot2.html">http://www.geocities.com/amp_designer/scoot2.html</a><!-- m -->

The funny looking guy there is me... LOL

I have a few technical issues with this bike I would like to discuss with some experienced people at this site.

Steve (Canada)
#1 04-28-2007, 10:32 AM,
Welcome aboard, Steve. Again, I'm glad to see you ride the best GL1200, a 1984 in root beer and champagne, just like mine! She's a good lookin' 'Wing.

Go ahead and ask your questions. There are a lot of really good, experienced members more than willing to help. I know they have been a real assist to me.
#2 04-28-2007, 12:37 PM,
keener Wrote:Welcome aboard, Steve. Again, I'm glad to see you ride the best GL1200, a 1984 in root beer and champagne, just like mine! She's a good lookin' 'Wing.

Go ahead and ask your questions. There are a lot of really good, experienced members more than willing to help. I know they have been a real assist to me.

Hi and thank you for the kind link reply there...
I live in the Toronto area BTW.

Okay, here's my question.
The valve covers on my wing are leaking oil very badly. Even after purchasing brand new gaskets from the bike shop. One mechanic strongly feels that my valve covers have warped over time. Yes I tried liquid gaskets, etc..
Engine runs great, like a Swiss watch! Any help or input how to solve this would be greatly appreciated!
The oil leaks out of the bottom of the valve covers, not the top. Today I did a timing belt inspection and checked for any oil leaks in that area.

Steve (Goldwing Man)
#3 04-28-2007, 01:16 PM,
Did you replace the rubber washers on the bolts at the same time.

I just replaced mine this winter after finding out where the oil was coming from.

They shouldnt need any sealant on them if they were new gaskets.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 04-28-2007, 05:56 PM,
tricky makes a valid point (I told you these guys were good!). Last year, I noticed an oil mist on the front of my saddlebags. It turns out the rubber bushings on the valve covers had started to rot out. I changed all of them with new retainers and the problem went away.
#5 04-28-2007, 07:04 PM,
tricky Wrote:Did you replace the rubber washers on the bolts at the same time.

I just replaced mine this winter after finding out where the oil was coming from.

They shouldnt need any sealant on them if they were new gaskets.

Yes I did replace all the necessary rubber seals. I still think the valve covers (the ones with the '1200' etched into it) might be warped.

Steve
The Goldwing Man.
#6 04-28-2007, 09:50 PM,
You could check by placing the cover on a flat surface and use feeler gauges to measure. I havent heard anyone complain about the valve covers warping .
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#7 04-29-2007, 06:11 AM,
Hello and welcome Steve, nice to have you aboard.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#8 04-29-2007, 06:21 AM,
Steve
The trick with those types of gaskets is to make sure all the gasket surfaces and gasket are very clean and dry.Spray Brake Cleans on a rag and wipe all the surfaces really well to get rid of any oil residue.Soap and water on the gasket itself to clean.I can't express enough how clean it should be.Before installing put a small amount of automotive silicone sealer in the corners where the camshafts bolt on.If it's real good and clean this should do the trick.One other thing would be to torque the bolts to the proper specs.Sometimes over tightening can cause problems.I think that with this type of gasket that those covers would have to be very badly warped to cause a leak.Very unlikely.

Put a rag(cleans soaked) on the end of a screwdriver to get into the groove of the cover to clean.Good Luck.
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#9 05-01-2007, 01:54 PM,
Good advice Chris, I like the way you work.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#10 05-01-2007, 03:16 PM,
Thanks Vic
You tend to pick up a few things wrenching for as long as I have.Worked for 15 years as an auto tech(not bikes but all nuts and bolts)at a General Motors dealership.Had more than my share of warranty leaks.When you work flat rate and you do it for free the second time you're usually pretty careful the 1st time.If it's good and clean on assembly and the leak persists I've found that something is either cracked or porous.
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#11 05-01-2007, 05:26 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just joined. Hi from Farmington, NM wing_man 9 6,601 12-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Last Post: wpd210
  Steve here again. I'm very impressed with all of you!!! Steve 4 3,547 05-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Last Post: admin