Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet intercom question.
Hi
Just bought an 85 LTD that came complete with the original LTD helmets with intercoms. We are looking at new helmets and wondered if these intercoms were transferable to new helmets. It looks like they used a different speaker and boom mike system on these older helmets.
Any input appreciated.
Thanks.
#1 05-18-2009, 04:47 PM,
How do they attach?, I have a old set that came with my first bike (82 Aspy) that they actually drilled two small holes in the lower left side of the helmet just below the ear. The old helmets are fiberglass I think, I decided not to drill holes in my new helmets to swap intercom due to a lot of info out there about causing weak spot in helmet. The newer helmets are light weight diffrent material and if the mfg looked back they probably would agree it might not be a good idea to drill holes in a helmet. I now have a set of the J&M that clamp to the helmet, I can move them around to diffrent helmets. I debated back and forth about drilling to mount the old ones but in the end common sense won over, Thank God.
#2 05-19-2009, 02:51 AM,
Hi GreaseMonkey.
I will have to double check in the morning but I think they are just clamped on. What brand of new helmets did you buy and are they full face or open face? How is the sound quality of the J&M compared to the origial Honda intercom? Did you purchase the basic J&M HS 8154 unit or go for one of the higher end models? If I go that route I'm trying to decide whether it is neccasary to spend more money on the higher end units.
Thanks for your input.
#3 05-20-2009, 10:45 PM,
Bill, we went with the open face GMAX helmet, my wife couldn’t deal with the full face in front of her and I am to hot natured, the GMAX seems to have a better airflow than a lot of what I looked at not to mention the removeable washable liner. That was a must as bad as I sweat. As far as the quality my first helmet took out the bumper of a Kia Sephia when the girl pulled out in front of me. I thought that was pretty good. It not only busted her bumper up it took a hard impact on the pavement and just has a deep scratch, it did not crack and I did not get knocked out, kind of woozy but not knocked out. I swear by them. As far as the intercom I think this is a lower end one but the sound quality is all I needed. We keep the radio on low in back ground but was more interested in the communication with my wife than I was with the music sound. If what you have just clamps on then just take it with you to a local store that carries the helmet you are looking at and see if it fits. They shouldn’t have a problem with that. And they may have a better price than you can find on the net. I bought both my helmets locally, they had the best price. I would think the intercom is transferable. Hope this helps.
#4 05-21-2009, 04:07 AM,
Hey Greasemonkey
Thanks for the tip on the GMAX helmets. I had never heard of them before but made a point of looking for them when we went to Winnipeg yesterday. I was very impressed with the quality and fit so we ordered a pair. Thanks again.

Now I need to hear from someone who can tell me more about J&M headsets. There seems to be three different levels of units. Will I be happy with the basic 8154 models or do I need to step up a level? What are you getting for the extra cash?
Give me your two cents. It will be appreciated.
#5 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM,
I use an open face helmet, the type with a zip out ear and neck protector.
I bought a J&M headset for my helmet the mode JM-HS-ICD284-HHU Slide-in Shorty-style Stereo Helmet Headset

As far a sound reproduction is concerned, my hearing is so bad I wouldn't venture to say. We use our headsets for intercom only, and have the radio coming from the speakers. I have a large Tulsa windshield and it seems to act like an auditorium and my wife hears it very well.

It is a motorcycle not my living room stereo of course.

I just bought a new shorty HJC helmet for my wife and after inspection found that it has accomodation for a headset in the zip out ear and neck protector. I had an old Honda type headset (circa 1985) it use to have tubes which one would locate in the appropriate position. I cut off all the plastic and slipped the earphones into the pouches in the ear protctor and it works fine, this will do until we can get another headset.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#6 05-27-2009, 06:59 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intercom question Azwngr 3 1,255 08-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Azwngr
  Intercom question Motorhead 28 7,617 10-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Last Post: Motorhead