Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Replacing rear tire (Left Shock Bolt)
This may be elementary for some of the more experienced mechanics but for us just starting to work on GoldWings it might save someone a couple of hours labor. I started changing my rear tire yesterday and got everything off in short time, took tire and rim to local shop they swapped the tire for me. Started putting it back together and got stumped at the left shock bolt. It would not line up and go all the way through both sides. seemed to be hitting on the inside guide. It would go through the outer threaded part, then slip past the shock grommet and then bottom out. Everything I tried kept coming up dead end.I have worked on cars 30 years and replaced the rear tire on a 82 Aspy but this stumped me, especially since the end of the bolt is tapered and ther is limited working space. After 2 hours last night and 2 hours this morning it is back in. Simply place a bottle jack under left swing arm and slowly start jacking it up. You will see bolt straighten up and slide right in. By slightly raising the swing arm it took the pressure off the bolt and shock. Now to put the hitch and Left saddle bag back on and go for a ride. Hope this helps someone and I am not the only idiot. ~x( ~x( ~x( ~x( Sad|)
#1 06-07-2009, 12:56 PM,
Loosen the axle bolt... Now the brake calipar mounting plate can be swiveled into place and the shock bolt tightened... Retighten the axle bolt and your finished...
Ed Zogg
#2 06-07-2009, 01:03 PM,
Another method is to use a common long handle shovel under the rear tire... Pry down on the handle enough to get the bolt straight with the hole...
Ed Zogg
#3 06-07-2009, 01:06 PM,
I hadnt put the axle nut on at that point, the caliper plate was spinning freely, Instead of a shovel I used a floor jack under the tire to lift it and that actually was hurting me. I tried using force for 4 hours and when I put the gental touch on it it did the trick.I guess the floor jack would have done it but I was lifting to high with it probably. Lesson learned.

Sad|)
#4 06-07-2009, 05:00 PM,
Likely the case... With the shovel method you can lift and lower the rear as needed to get the bolt back in... Another idea is to put that bolt back in prior to the other sides shock bolt... One of my shocks is about 1/4" longer than the other one when at full extension... I always put the longest shock on first and then use the shovel to pry the rear tire up far enough for the other side holes to line up... I also ground a small bevel on the bolt step to help with misalignment issues...
Ed Zogg
#5 06-08-2009, 07:19 AM,
When I changed my tire last year, the spacer came part way out of the left rear lower shock mount. When I pulled the axle out, the tire and swing arm dropped down, pinching the spacer and smashing the crap out of it. I spent hours running around town, trying to find a spacer that would work. No luck. Finally, I took the spacer to the shop at work, and just worked it back into shape to the point that the bolt would go through it, and everything would line up to be tightened down. Made a 2 hour job putting the wheel back on (after the tire change) into an all day event.

So, I feel your pain. :x
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#6 06-08-2009, 05:46 PM,
Nice thing was I have a wooden ramp going into the building I store my bike in that slopes sharply at the end. I was able to back the rear tire to just at the drop off and then go back on center stand. Even though I had to pull trailer hitch and left saddle bag I did not have to remove rear bumber,rear fender or the added Markland light bar that runs around both saddle bags and the rear of the bike. It was high enough I was able to drop it out the bottom lay it on side and slipped right out. I am sure there are a million tricks out there and just wanted to share mine so it may save someone a headache later. Sad|)
#7 06-08-2009, 06:19 PM,
I had the rear wheel tyre valve shear 40 Miles out of Sevilla on the way back from the Faro rally,ended up at the Honda dealer where i stripped all the rear fender with lights on and supervised (STOPPED the mechanics from taking this Left shock bolt out )
I just loosen the exhaust enough to get the axle shaft out and backin, i did have a ferry to catch.
#8 10-02-2009, 02:10 PM,
I think I would rather take the shock bolt out rather than risk damaging those expensive muffler gaskets.

when those lower shock bolts are out, it is even possible to get a foot under the wheel and lift it higher than the mufflers.... Well it was before arthritis set in Smile :lol: :lol:

I had to do it on the side of the road one time, couldnt find anyone with a trailer at the time.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#9 10-02-2009, 04:48 PM,
Something I should add to my emergency tool kit is a small screw jack.
With that under the front of the engine and the centre stand I can position the rear end to any (within reason) position I need.

Ken
#10 10-02-2009, 07:37 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear tire question for my GL1200I BADMOD97 14 8,937 11-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Last Post: BADMOD97
  front tire has worn flat on left side old gold 4 4,140 04-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Last Post: bs175dths
  Rear wheel looks off center after tire change Flounder 4 3,716 12-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Flounder
  Rear tire removal, easier third or fourth time around Roleketu 13 10,141 08-15-2013, 06:54 AM
  Rear Tire Removal Cyberchip 11 6,079 05-24-2012, 10:35 AM
  Rear tire rubbing on swingarm? brobbed 7 3,698 05-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Last Post: ghostrider52005
  Any tips on rear tire removal? PanMan75 8 4,208 04-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Last Post: PanMan75
  Maxis Rear tire. ghostrider52005 4 2,781 10-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Last Post: ghostrider52005
  Rear tire on front? PanMan75 12 6,880 08-17-2011, 04:11 AM
Last Post: PanMan75
  Rear tire rub.... Tropicalsuns 3 2,257 10-24-2010, 04:17 AM