Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Yellow Wire (down below)-
Hi Guys-

I am buying a '85 LTD from a guy in CA. We are waiting for the shipper to come and pick it up (to deliver to me).
The seller says "today" there was a bad smell down below and it seems to be a hot (burning?) yellow wire.

Is this the failure mode for the stator?
Do you really have to pull the engine to do a replacement (DYI)?

Any ideas or tips are welcome.

Thanks,
Mark Koontz
Wichita, KS :YMAPPLAUSE:
#1 08-12-2009, 07:35 PM,
it most likely may the stator wires/connector and if so its an easy replacement,there are alot of posts on this site regarding same,

sounds like the wiring will require an upgrade as soon as u get the bike,and since the PO says the wire is "burning" must mean that the stator is still functional,there wouldn't be any problem occurring if the stator had gone away

worst case scenario would be to do the "poorboy" conversion instead of replacing the stator, would be a large cost savings over replacing the stator and/or the regulator

and since you have already purchased the bike and i assume paid for there is not much u can do until the bike arrives

good luck and welcome to the site
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 08-12-2009, 07:57 PM,
Welcome to the Site!!!

It does sound like the Stator connection might be starting to burn a touch! However,, You've come to the right place for help!! :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:

When you get the bike let us know and we'll let you know what to look for as 95% of us has "Been there and Done That" on these bikes!! Also if you want to talk on a land line about this, PM me and we'll see what we can do!!

Good luck and Congratulations on your new Bike!!
1985 Limited Edition
#3 08-13-2009, 12:28 AM,
Welcome to the site from Ontario Canada. You have come to the right place to get help with your new bike, just ask and someone will give you the answer.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#4 08-13-2009, 04:49 AM,
Thank you so much for the replies-

Now the PO says the yellow wire he's referring to is in by the steering stem. He thinks it's shorting out to something. He says he can see it by looking down from the dash (top).

Do you still think it's the stator connector? What is yellow and up in there?

Thanks,
mk.
#5 08-13-2009, 07:42 AM,
checked my 86 sei cant see anything yellow up there, stator wires run up to the regulator up near there but shouldn't be visible
from where u are talkking about

prev po may have added something and used a yellow wire,have him disconnect the battery after the transporter gets it loaded

we can diagnose your problems once it gets to ya see if he'll cut a couple bucks off it before you get it :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:

isn't much the gurus on this site cant figure out feel free to pm me or call anytime we are here to help day and nite :d
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#6 08-13-2009, 01:56 PM,
Only thing that comes to mind is the right hand coil feed... I believe it's got a yellow (with tracer) wire on it... There is not much sense in trying to diagnose a problem until you get the bike and can check things out first hand...
Ed Zogg
#7 08-13-2009, 03:01 PM,
Yes, I know- :-SS

Some questions: :x

Where is the regulator located on the bike? Where is the "better" place to move it to?

I saw a pic where someone had the front fender and rotor cover of a GL1500 put onto a GL1200. Anybody know anything about that? :roll:

Lastly, I would like to protect the fork tubes (above thew dust seals) from debris. Any tricks out there for that? (Maybe the 1500 frnder would do that?)

Thanks guys,
mk.

Attached Files
.jpg   Pic028.jpg (Size: 65.48 KB / Downloads: 162)
#8 08-14-2009, 08:35 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hot Yellow Wire: What is it? 19 5,117 08-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Guest
  3 Yellow wire plug chop Hamish 2 1,362 10-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Last Post: William_86