Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
1985 LTD
The three yellow wires in front of the battery are heating up and when I first start the bike the volts are showing 14.3 but after a few mintues this goes down to 12 and if I shut the bike off and restart it goes back up to 14.3.
Have a 1985 goldwing LTD
#1 05-27-2007, 05:29 AM,
Has the plug been removed and the three yellow wires soldered? if not, do so.
If it already has been removed, closely check that the connections are good.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 05-27-2007, 08:21 AM,
turtle Wrote:The three yellow wires in front of the battery are heating up and when I first start the bike the volts are showing 14.3 but after a few mintues this goes down to 12 and if I shut the bike off and restart it goes back up to 14.3.

Hi it's Steve from Toronto Canada here. I've dealt with Goldwings since 1983. If you bypass that 3 yellow wired plug and you're still getting severe heat build up there, in all possibilites you may have a faulty ground somewhere along the line. You mentioned about the voltmeter reading 12 volts while engine is running. It's supposed to read 14.6 v.d.c. no less. There is a remote possibility your regulator may be intermittant.

Email me if you would like me to assist you further.
All the best from Steve (Goldwing Man)
The Goldwing Man.
#3 05-27-2007, 04:40 PM,
It would be preferable that any help offered be done in the openness of the forum so others can benefit from any suggestions made.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 05-27-2007, 04:55 PM,