Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
beautiful 85 LTD up for sale
David,

I have spent quite a bit of time in and around Lake Placid and I am certain that if I were to have several homes one of them would be located there....

Nice choice.
#16 04-26-2010, 07:31 PM,
Good morning, Everyone.

Just a quick expression of gratitude for the support I have received in my efforts to purchase a Limited on this board. The patience and understanding which have been expressed to me are most gratefully received.

Fellow board members might be interested in learning that both my caretaker and I have within the past few hours spoken via telephone to Adam in NY. He was positively charming to me, and has most kindly agreed to keep the bike for me despite having other "cash in hand" offers. Adam is quite concerned with this important and historic bike going to the right home, not necessarily the first available home. After our conversation, I believe Adam agrees with me that by being added to my collection, his cherished Limited will enjoy a proud and fruitful new life. The actual transfer of the bike will be delayed until later this week, due to inclement weather predicted in the Adirondacks, but by the end of this week everything should be done and dusted. Ergo, it seems unlikely that I shall be pursuing this particular Limited mentioned in this thread any further at this time.

I thank everyone for their gracious concern regarding my activities on this forum, and look forward to forging lasting and expanding relationships across the globe.

Cordially yours,
David
#17 04-26-2010, 07:37 PM,
Thank-you, Tropicalsuns! I'm glad I am not alone in my affection for the Olympic Region. I truly do love Lake Placid, for both its undeniable physical beauty and for the intrinsic beauty of its inhabitants. If you are ever in that area again, please do let me know, as I am certain my caretaker would be most pleased to open up my collection to you. You might be interested to know that I have just this morning (my time) come to terms with a shipper for an important and historic GL1000 which I shall be importing from the UK, meaning that it shall soon be "winging" its way to NY. As it is only a 1000 not a 1200, I shan't waste anyone's time posting about it here, but once it has been safely transported and the photographer has finished the portraits of her, images and details shall be posted elsewhere. Please feel free to pm me if anyone would be interested in reading about this GL1000, and I shall be happy to reply with the relevant details.

My heartfelt gratitude goes out once again to any and all who have demonstrated a sincere interest in seeing another GL1200 Limited being successfully preserved for future generations to enjoy.

Cordially yours,
David

NB: I apologise profoundly and sincerely if I have inadvertently and temporarily hijacked this thread, and do hope the seller finds a deserving buyer with all possible haste. Judging by the photos submitted, it is truly a wonderful piece of mobile art. Smile
#18 04-26-2010, 07:46 PM,
Quote:I'm glad I am not alone in my affection for the Olympic Region

I was there at the 1980 Olympics!
#19 04-26-2010, 08:54 PM,
Tropicalsuns Wrote:

What................. you skipped the 1932 ones??? :lol:
#20 04-26-2010, 10:33 PM,
dbd123 Wrote:
Tropicalsuns Wrote:

What................. you skipped the 1932 ones??? :lol:

Oooooo.... Confusedhock: Nice Shot!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
1985 Limited Edition
#21 04-26-2010, 10:47 PM,
Sorry, I just couldn't resist..... :d
#22 04-26-2010, 11:57 PM,
Just wanted to let everyone know, I am now the proud owner of this 1985 GL1200 LTD that was for sale in Michigan. Got her for $1900 and about $85 worth of diesel for my Jetta, (to haul her).
Just got back from an almost 1000 mile round trip, (rain, lots of rain), and can't wait to get this bike running again.

The bike has 13666 original miles on it and it does look like it. Chrome looks great, (was shining on it last night, (with my girlfriend). Can't wait to try out the Corbin seat on a long ride, as well as all the other LTD features. My girlfriend has already claimed the bike as hers, (but she will let me be the main rider as long as I behave :lol:

The fuel tank has rust soup in it so I'm going to be replacing the tank/filter/pump, and going through every inch of the fuel delivery system.

I'm going to put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders tonight, (since the bike has sat in a garage for the last 5 years without being started). It does have a new battery, and spark plugs.
Any other suggestions to make sure this thing will be right before I start it, would be appreciated.

Can't wait 'til I fire this baby up, (hopefully next week).
Will post pics soon.

I will be SO glad to get away from all my carb/high speed performance problems I have with my '86 Wing.

I plan on switching out the best of both bikes, but I will end up with a Pearl Hot Rod Yellow GL1200 LTD when I finish, (with a lot of extras).

Don W., Winchester, KY
#23 05-03-2010, 08:43 AM,
Congrats Don, I hope you refurb goes well for you.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#24 05-03-2010, 09:14 AM,
Vic:
Is there anything else I should look at besides the fuel system before I crank it over?

I will for sure change the oil, and ALL fluids. I noticed I didn't have any back brakes, but I expected that I would have air in the lines, so no big deal, (front brakes work fine).

Do you think the timing belts will be a problem? I may pull one cover just to make sure they are not cracked. But I would think with 13666 miles on it, there shouldn't be too much trouble, (of course sitting is the worst things on these bikes). Front seals on the forks looks like they're not leaking, (although the dust seals are cracked).

Suggestions for what to look for?

One nice thing about having a 1200 for a while now is I know the maintenance issues, (that's why I got another one).

Thanks,
Don W.
#25 05-03-2010, 09:22 AM,
Sounds like you have it covered pretty good. I would check the air filter and I would check all electrical connections especially at the computer under the trunk. Once you get it running check for any codes displaying on the computer which will tell you about issues in the system. Also, check the date on your tires, if they are over 6 years old replace them. Personally, I would change the timing belts because you just don't know how old they are so why take a chance.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#26 05-03-2010, 09:39 AM,
Will do, Thanks, Vic

Don W.
#27 05-03-2010, 09:53 AM,
Congratulations on your purchase!! :YMAPPLAUSE:

I do hope you shall be as happy with yours as I am with mine. Now, I just need to return to America to be actually able to throw a leg across her.... :-W
#28 05-03-2010, 07:01 PM,
Congratulations on the bike Don!!

I've been down the road you're fixing to travel so here's one thing I'd suggest doing to start cleaning the fuel injection system. When you get a functional fuel pump, mix some Seafoam with about 2 gallon of hi-test gas at about double the recomended ratio. Run a piece of fuel line from the can you have the gas in to the intake of the fuel pump and turn the ignition on. The fuel pump should run for about3-5 seconds and shut off. Turn the ignition off and back on, (or use the kill switch), until you see fuel coming out of the fuel return line or about 20 seconds total. Clamp the fuel line shut at the fuel can and let her soak overnight. Do the same thing the next day and also, with the spark plugs pulled, crank the engine over so the injectors will get some gas through them and then let her soak some more.

One other thing. If you've got the tank out, make sure you have a can under the return line to catch the crap that's gonna come out and if not have one under the line that normaly goes to the fuel pump.

Oh, and nose plugs are probably a good idea cuz what you flush outta the system is gonna stink of laquer to High Heaven!! :lol: :lol:
1985 Limited Edition
#29 05-03-2010, 10:05 PM,
Thanks for the tip, I am anxious to hear my new baby run, but I want to do things right so I can ensure she will run for a LONG time. I mean, 13666 miles? I AM spoiled!!! Smile This winter I'm going to replace all the rubber, (brakes lines and such), but in the meantime, I will replace the fuel tank, pump and filter.

I noticed the previous owner left the petcock on, (it's behind the right side cover), and when I went to turn it off, rusty, stinky gas leaked on the muffler.
I wonder if I can rebuild the petcock, or if I have to get a complete new valve.

Ah well, I figure there will be many little quirks to work through to get it all back up to 100%.
It will definitely be worth it though. I already went through a lot of this with my '86 so I'm REAL familiar with the "joys" of resurrecting a bike that has been sitting around.

Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming.

Don W., Winchester, KY
#30 05-04-2010, 05:05 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beautiful 1984 GL1200 Aspencade W/Cargo Trailer For Sale 12 3,990 10-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Last Post: Guest
  Beautiful 1984 Aspencade with Cargo Trailer for sale! 8 2,710 05-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Guest