Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
HELP!!! Timing problem????
i have a 1984 gl1200 aspencade non california that i installed a used motor.acts like its out of time.cranks over but stalls for a sec then continues cranking. this will happen under 1 revolution or not for several revolutions. I would get a puff (backfire) of air through air cleaner or backfire through exhaust.timing belt marks line up with camshaft T1 mark.good blue spark from coils.gettin fuel.carbs off old motor just rebuilt or cleaned. (didnt watch him do it Smile could crank shafts be off 360 degrees? :YMSIGH: also cant figure out which of the notorious yellow wires to hook together as the female plug was cut off .. ugh @-) any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
#1 04-25-2010, 09:14 PM,
Welcome to the Site!

If your engine was out of time 360deg, that would be a complete circle and it would be in time! I think you're refering to 180deg out of time and no.. I don't believe the engine would crank and I do believe you'd have some bent valve's to contend with....

That said, the only way that I know of to see if the engine is in time is to pull the timing belt covers and do the following:

Using the main crankshaft bolt, rotate the crankshaft clockwise as veiwed from the front of the engine until the "T-1" timing mark on the timing disc aligns with the fixed index mark on the cylinder block.

The UP marks on the camshaft pulleys should be facing up. If not, rotate the crankshaft an aditional 360deg and recheck the "T-1" timing mark alignment and the UP marks on the camshaft pulleys.

More intelligent people than I will be along shortly with better info!! :mrgreen:
1985 Limited Edition
#2 04-25-2010, 09:59 PM,
coould also be that plug wires are connected incorrectly

yellow wires are just reconnected together makes no difference which to which one

just make sure you do a good check of the condition of the rectifier connector
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 04-26-2010, 06:25 AM,
thanx roscoe and neoracer :d the timing marks all line up. made sure that the plug wires are connected properly.coils are firing hot.made sure all connections are pressed together good.getting fuel.still get air blowback through air filter and backfire through exhaust.it stalls during cranking for a sec then continues cranking.sometimes 1 revolution sometimes several. :YMSIGH: err err umph err umph err err err puff err err err err umph err umph err err pow ..... :lol: :-W
#4 04-26-2010, 09:07 AM,
You may have a compression issue. Use a compression tester and post back here with the results. When doing the compression test make sure the spark plugs are all out, the battery is fully charged and that the throttle is wide open during the test. You may be getting fuel to the carbs but it's not going through them as such you may have a fuel problem and this can be verified by using a propane torch with the mixer/nozzle removed and opening the valve on the tank and aiming it into the plenum (with the air filter removed) as you crank the engine with the ignition on. If it starts to fire with the propane then you know that it will need fuel system repairs such as fuel pump or carb rebuild.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#5 04-26-2010, 09:17 AM,
thanx!! ill do this and get back.. asap :YMPRAY:
#6 04-26-2010, 11:10 AM,
if your timing marks line up anf your plugwires all connected right the only thing it could be is the motor thinks the "distributor is in wrong

did you check to make sure that the coils are connected corrxcetly,that would do same thing as the cam being out of time

in otherwards its firing the plugs at wrong time 180 deg out

to be backfiring both thru carb and pipes it has to be something like that

not sure but dont thinjk the pg's can be put in backwards,that would fire plugs 180 out
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#7 04-26-2010, 01:07 PM,
After re-installing my engine this past weekend, I messed up and crossed over the #3 Cyl and #4 Cyl plug wires. It tried to start, but wasn't firing on all cylinders like before the engine removal. Be careful looking at the simple diagram of the coils when checking the correct connections between coils and spark plugs.
[attachment=0]
wiring diagram in the manual suggests the left side coil and the right side coil with the wires going to cylinders "4321" left to right. The diagram leads you to believe that the wires on the left side coil go to the left bank of cylinders, and the right side to the right. Actually two of the wires cross over for Number 3 and Number 4 cylinders just in case you missed that like I did. Started real nice after switching them.. Hope you figure it out.
Good luck!

Attached Files
.jpg   coilwire.jpg (Size: 6.78 KB / Downloads: 351)
#8 04-28-2010, 01:21 PM,
pulled valve covers and checked spark. am getting spark on both the compression stroke and 180 later on the exhaust.???? checked on all plugs
#9 04-30-2010, 06:47 PM,
What happened to this guy. I was interested to hear what his problem was.
#10 06-26-2010, 05:27 PM,
I don't know. Sometimes they just dissappear as fast as they came. :lol:
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#11 06-26-2010, 05:42 PM,