Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Intercom / Headset Recommendations
For the past five years, we've used the IMC intercom sets with good results other than that they are very fragile when it comes to the wires and connector plugs. Just today, the plugs went north so we rode the old way - yelling, back slapping, pointing, etc.

I'd like recommendations for a sturdier system with a reasonable price point and, hopefully, a Canadian supplier.

Thanks.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#1 05-16-2010, 03:38 PM,
For the first 23 years I used Honda headsets, I do believe they were made by J&M but cant vouch for that, the past 2 years I have used J&M headsets.
I wont recommend them over other headsets, could be there are better sounding headsets, I only use mine for intercom and talking on the CB.
They seem sturdy enough.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 05-16-2010, 07:48 PM,
I have been using J&M head sets since I installed the J&M CB on my Interstate. Good sound, seem rugged, easy to install.
Remember, No matter where you go...There you are!

Here is where I have ridden my 1984 GL1200I
I completed the lower 48 states in August 2009, riding the whole way with my Dad

[Image: VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg]
#3 05-17-2010, 07:18 AM,
Thanks, guys. Like tricky, we only use them for intercom and the cb. We're not much for music on the road.
Ian
#4 05-17-2010, 08:03 AM,
I like my music but prefer it coming through the speakers, I feel a little lack of concentration using the headset for music.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 05-17-2010, 08:05 AM,
Their website does not show a dealer in BC, Angela. There are several in AB but none stock the package I want: HS-8154B-OF. Right now, I'm waiting to hear back from a supplier in ON. But, if you remember the name in Coquitlam, let me know right away. Thanks.
Ian
#6 05-17-2010, 01:10 PM,
You're not thinking of the IMC store are you, Angela? Their shop is in Port Moody and is run by good people of the Orient.

Their product works fine for awhile but the wires and connectors are just too fragile for my liking.
Ian
#7 05-17-2010, 03:29 PM,
After much comparison shopping, I ended up buying two J&M 8154B sets from Midwest Cycle Pro, an eBay seller out of Trenton, Michigan. The transaction was completed this morning and I've already received confirmation of shipment. Maybe he is as good as his feedback shows!
Ian
#8 05-19-2010, 01:24 PM,
The headsets arrived yesterday and I got the chance to install them today. Pretty straightforward (even for a klutz like me!). They seem to be a real improvement over the IMC sets we have been using for several years. The J&M's are certainly sturdier and sound better - not such a tinny sound. Hopefully, the weather will clear and we can test them on the road.
Ian
#9 06-03-2010, 07:34 PM,
We just got our first IMC headsets and CBs from Sierra Electronics in Ohio. The sales rep was very helpful and the sets arrived in a timely manner. These are handlebar mount handheld Cobras with weather channel. Although mine is mounted on a fabricated bracket from the bottom of the speaker covers out to the edge of the fairing, putting the antenna between the mirror and windshield. Too bulky for my bars. Anyway, we've had issues with noise, but I located some good suppressors and that should fix the problem. IMC headsets are okay for us first-timers, easier to install in the wife's modular helmet than in my open-faced. But after some fidgeting I got them best I could. Quality is marginal but acceptable. We're not using them for music, I, too, prefer the system speakers. But just the fact we can now communicate makes a world of difference. I agree with the "delicate" nature of the harnessing, but taking care should make them last. Hey, at 200.00 per kit, it's a pretty good deal. And another 40 for third party noise suppressors. (Had to turn the squelch so high we couldn't talk to each other).
We'll see how it works out when the suppressors are installed. We ran them with just the batteries and they worked quite well. But I'm not into packing a crate of batteries on our next tour this month.
Jess
#10 06-04-2010, 04:08 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In Line FM Modulators - recommendations sheridat 3 1,621 12-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Last Post: sheridat
  intercom/headset trouble shooting wpgfire 26 7,496 06-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Last Post: admin
  Radio/CB/Intercom thru headset pappy 3 2,496 06-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Last Post: silverfoxwing