Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Coil spark plug wire positins for 84 GL1200A
My maintenance manual(s) do give a clear indication of the position of the plug wires on the coils. I am sure wire from plug 1 goes to the right connecor on the right coil and the number 3 wire goes to the one to the left of it on the right coil. I am not sure about the nmber 2 and 4 plug wires. I have them conncted with the number 4 wire going to the ouside position on the left coil and the number 2 wire to the right of it in the center position.

Can anyone give me a definit answer on what is correct?

Thnks

Dave
Mtwinger
#1 05-19-2010, 04:07 PM,
It really doesn't matter which side of the coil the wires connect to as they both fire together.
As long as each one is connected to the correct coil it will work.
#2 05-19-2010, 04:47 PM,
You want to connect them like this for best results.

Attached Files
.jpg   4 Cylinder Wing Coil Wiring.jpg (Size: 31.91 KB / Downloads: 208)
#3 05-19-2010, 07:51 PM,
Good job Kevin. Notice the layout of the cylinders. Sitting on the bike, #1 and #3 cylinders are on the right. Important that everyone's on the same page when talking about cylinder "numbers". The schematic missed just a little with the wire color codes. The right coil has a yellow with a blue tracer. The left has a blue with a yellow tracer. Ken is right. Since this is a wasted spark system, the coil fires both plugs at the same time. If using aftermarket, cut to fit wires, it wouldn't make much of a difference. If you're trying to use the Honda stuff, you could come up a little short.
#4 05-19-2010, 08:00 PM,
Thanks for th help. I found the diagram forhis wiring in a GL1100 manual I had. It works corrctly now.
Dave

By they, I grew up ten miles from Devils Tower in Wyming. Town, Hulett.
#5 05-19-2010, 08:04 PM,
gl,

That diagram is from Randakk's website, so it must be accurate for the earlier 4 cyl's. Good to know about the wire colors for our bikes.

mtwinger,

I grew up in Billings. Lived there until I was 18, then joined the service. We have been to Hulett many times. Great little town, and the home of the Ham-n-Jam rally. Good stuff!
#6 05-19-2010, 08:44 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spark plug size 3 2,506 04-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Guest