Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
starter troubles
I am haveing trouble with my starter I have rebuilt the starter and when I hit the starter button it doesn't do anything and when I take the starter back out of the bike and jump the starter using jumper cables it will turn over so I put the starter back in the bike it still want turn over after hitting the starter button BUT I can take the starter out of the bike and ground the starter to the bike and it will turn over Sad disappointed in fl. I need help and fast I am going crazy not being able to ride Oh by the way my bike is an 1985 gl1200 ltd Helpppppp........
#1 06-03-2007, 09:07 AM,
billyja1949,

If you can short out the starter relay with a screwdriver and the starter works ( I am sure that is the case here as it works on the bench) then it points to other issues with the bike.

I would put the starter button VERY high on the list as this is a weak point for many older Honda's. Most often they can be taken apart and cleaned.

I will see what more experienced wingers will have to say on this....
#2 06-03-2007, 09:31 AM,
Any other thoughts on this one?

Starter turns over on bench but not installed in bike....even shorting out the relay.
#3 06-04-2007, 09:58 PM,
When the starter is in the bike have you tried turning it over using jumper cables?
If it turns over when isolated from the solenoid then work backwards, check that the solenoid is OK by applying 12 volts to the two spades at the solenoid.

If the circuitry was OK before the starter was rebuilt, it should still be good unless you changed something.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 06-05-2007, 06:10 AM,